Concerning Copyrighted Materials

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
zedturtle

Concerning Copyrighted Materials

Post by zedturtle » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:12 am

So this is an important subject that we wanted to clarify a few things on.

First, rules questions are fine.

If there's something in a supplement that is throwing you for a loop, it's okay to post "The rule says X... but I don't know if Y is included". We welcome discussion on the game.

Second, homebrew is fine.

If you've come up with something for Adventures in Middle-earth and you'd like to share it here, it's fine to post your original mechanics, descriptions, ideas, etc.

BUT...

Combining the two, by posting long excerpts of copyrighted material that has been previously published for other game lines, is not cool. We don't mind you exploring ideas that we haven't officially gotten to yet, but please don't post the hard work of previous writers wholesale.

As part of the normal process of moderating the forums, folks who do post copyrighted material may see their posts edited by a moderator amidst other moderation steps.
Jacob Rodgers, occasional nitwit.

This space intentionally blank.

Otaku-sempai

Re: Concerning Copyrighted Materials

Post by Otaku-sempai » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:04 pm

Thanks for providing clarification. The line can be a bit fuzzy, but (for my part) I do try to take some care when borrowing from copyrighted materials.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

BookBarbarian

Post by BookBarbarian » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:55 pm

zedturtle wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:12 am
So this is an important subject that we wanted to clarify a few things on.

First, rules questions are fine.

If there's something in a supplement that is throwing you for a loop, it's okay to post "The rule says X... but I don't know if Y is included". We welcome discussion on the game.

Second, homebrew is fine.

If you've come up with something for Adventures in Middle-earth and you'd like to share it here, it's fine to post your original mechanics, descriptions, ideas, etc.

BUT...

Combining the two, by posting long excerpts of copyrighted material that has been previously published for other game lines, is not cool. We don't mind you exploring ideas that we haven't officially gotten to yet, but please don't post the hard work of previous writers wholesale.

As part of the normal process of moderating the forums, folks who do post copyrighted material may see their posts edited by a moderator amidst other moderation steps.
Thanks, for this. I often wonder about this stuff myself.

Like, a while back someone was asking about the Alternate Rules for the Warden and I thought to myself, that's someone's work that's been published I don't think I can post an explanation of how they work, can I?

Or when I think about adding elements from 5e that weren't included in the SRD, that's not something I can just slap up here either.

Still it's awfully easy to get carried away.

zedturtle

Post by zedturtle » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:39 pm

BookBarbarian wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:55 pm
Like, a while back someone was asking about the Alternate Rules for the Warden and I thought to myself, that's someone's work that's been published I don't think I can post an explanation of how they work, can I?
That’s a good example. Copy and pasting the whole Warden side of that PDF file would have been ill-advised, yes. But a discussion about the rules changes is fine. So “Turns out, Wardens were proficient with shields the whole time.” or some such is fine. We don’t want to stifle conversation, we just don’t want folks copy-pasting multiple paragraphs wholesale.

Glorelendil

Post by Glorelendil » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:52 pm

A bunch of my stuff got included in somebody else's "compendium" of fan content, without asking me, which is now published outside of the forums I was participating in. I was credited (well, my screen name was) but...it just felt weird. I didn't give permission for my work to be included.
The Munchkin Formerly Known as Elfcrusher
Journey Computer | Combat Simulator | Bestiary | Weapon Calculator

Enevhar Aldarion

Post by Enevhar Aldarion » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:11 am

Glorelendil wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:52 pm
A bunch of my stuff got included in somebody else's "compendium" of fan content, without asking me, which is now published outside of the forums I was participating in. I was credited (well, my screen name was) but...it just felt weird. I didn't give permission for my work to be included.
That is something I have seen people be paranoid about before and I have heard of forums that supposedly had rules that if you posted your fan creations publicly that you lost your exclusive right to it. I doubt that would hold up in a court, but I have heard about it. I remember back in the days when WotC still had official forums, some people were afraid/paranoid of posting their ideas there because they thought WotC could lay claim to anything put on their forums.

BookBarbarian

Post by BookBarbarian » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:40 am

Glorelendil wrote:
That's just... icky.

I don't like it.

ThrorII

Post by ThrorII » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:04 am

My bad. Public apology. Sorry. :oops:

Robin Smallburrow

Post by Robin Smallburrow » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:55 am

Way back when I first compiled my Fan Compendium Supplement, I did mention (in introducing the work) both in the first message (and in the Introduction to the work) that any authors were free to PM me asking for their content to be removed. I find it a bit rich to hear complaints now about two years later!

I will repeat: anyone whose work I have copied for the Fan Supplement is free to PM me asking for their content to be removed (or not included). I will only say (as per my Introduction) that the Fan Supplement was (and is) simply an attempt to gather all the great stuff submitted by fans in these forums into one easy-to-access work.

I am currently compiling a Fan Supplement for AiME, so these messages also apply to this work in progress.

Robin S.
To access all my links for my TOR Resources - please click on this link >> http://bit.ly/1gjXkCo

zedturtle

Post by zedturtle » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:01 am

ThrorII wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:04 am
My bad. Public apology. Sorry. :oops:
Thank you for your prompt attention to the matter.
BookBarbarian wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:40 am
Glorelendil wrote:
That's just... icky.

I don't like it.
Without getting too far into the weeds, it's a good reminder that there is a moral component to copyright. The idea that you can share your ideas without relinquishing control over them is part of the fundamental concept. It's better to ask for willing contributors than to put the onus on those who object to a new venue to lodge a complaint.