Seeing in the Dark

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
Otaku-sempai

Re: Seeing in the Dark

Post by Otaku-sempai » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:26 pm

JVV wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:02 pm
Like I said, I'm 100% with you there. My question was about elves.
Not really; your question was about Elves and Dwarves both (and maybe Orcs besides): "Anyway, what I was wondering was whether there's a canonical source about different races' vision. IMO having nobody have perfect "see in the dark" darkvision isn't a bad thing, because it helps reinforce a more Dark Ages feel."

I only had a good answer about the Dwarves.
To be 100% clear, I'll just state that elves can see fine under starlight but not in the depths of Moria, or even a boring old goblin cave, where there's no light at all.
You're certainly free to rule that way, though that's not how I read it in the Player's Guide. 8-)
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

JVV

Post by JVV » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:47 am

Otaku-sempai wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:26 pm

Not really; your question was about Elves and Dwarves both (and maybe Orcs besides): "Anyway, what I was wondering was whether there's a canonical source about different races' vision. IMO having nobody have perfect "see in the dark" darkvision isn't a bad thing, because it helps reinforce a more Dark Ages feel
You're right that's what it said, although the prior sentence alluded strongly to elves... my original question got deleted, I rewrote it and forgot to state the whole thing the second time out... oops. :/
You're certainly free to rule that way, though that's not how I read it in the Player's Guide. 8-)
Yeah, I definitely see that in the rulebook. I don't like it, though, for reasons already stated.

JVV

Post by JVV » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:51 am

BookBarbarian wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:06 pm
I could see some, but not all, creatures of Shadow getting some version of 5e's Devils Sight.
Sure, especially if there are sources of magical darkness. That said, I'd probably be more inclined to give things that can "see" in the dark something like Blindsight or keen hearing and scent rather than darkvision or Devil's Sight per se.