Converting MERP Levels to AIM/5e Levels for My Upcoming Campaign

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
Hero_of_Canton

Converting MERP Levels to AIM/5e Levels for My Upcoming Campaign

Post by Hero_of_Canton » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:16 pm

I thought y'all might find this interesting/helpful.

The AIM sourcebook Rhovanion Region Guide stats King Tharanduil of the Wood Elves as 15th Level (based on his number of Hit dice).

The MERP sourcebook Lords of Middle Earth I stats him as 33rd Level.

So when we go to convert MERP Levels to AIM/5e Levels we can multiply the MERP Levels by 0.45 to get their equivalent in AIM/5e.

This is important for my upcoming campaign because I plan to have Kili survive the Battle of the Five Armies, and rule briefly as King Under the Mountain before abdicating like Edward VIII of England when his people refuse to accept his marriage to the Wood Elf Tauriel. MERP lists Kili as a 12th Level Warrior which converts to 5th Level in AIM/5e using the above method. Kili and Tauriel will be the Player-Heroes in my upcoming campaign. Tauriel will most likely be a Multi-Classed Warden/Healer while Kili will most likely be a Multi-Classed Warrior/Treasure Hunter. If they survive long enough my plan is for them to eventually replace Legolas and Gimli in the Fellowship of the Ring.

Hero of Canton

Hero_of_Canton

Re: Converting MERP Levels to AIM/5e Levels for My Upcoming Campaign

Post by Hero_of_Canton » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:08 am

Here's more "LOTR Big Names" converted from MERP Levels to AIM/5e Levels using the 0.45 conversion multiplier. All are from the MERP sourcebook Lords of Middle Earth I.

Gandalf the Grey = 18th AIM/5e Level
Gandalf the White = 22nd AIM/5e Level
Radagast the Brown = 18th AIM/5e Level
Saruman the White = 22nd AIM/5e Level
Saruman the Many-Colored = 22nd AIM/5e Level
Saruman the Broken/Sharkey 5th AIM/5e Level
Elrond the Half-Elven = 29th AIM/5e Level
Galadriel = 27th AIM/5e Level

Hero of Canton - "My money's on the blonde gal!"
Last edited by Hero_of_Canton on Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Glorelendil

Post by Glorelendil » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:41 am

Why do they need levels? Are the players going to fight them?
The Munchkin Formerly Known as Elfcrusher
Journey Computer | Combat Simulator | Bestiary | Weapon Calculator

Hero_of_Canton

Post by Hero_of_Canton » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:53 am

Glorelendil wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:41 am
I imagine it would be for the same reason the AIM sourcebook Rhovanion Region Guide stats King Tharanduil of the Wood Elves as 15th Level...because you never know what Players are gonna try...besides two of those Sarumans on that list are evil and thus eligible targets. Besides, I got a ton of old MERP materials and I wanna get money's worth for buying 'em!"

Hero of Canton - "I got stupid the money was too good!"

BookBarbarian

Post by BookBarbarian » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:20 pm

Glorelendil wrote:
Indeed. I'd just stat them as NPCs and be done. It's much easier than making a High Level PC character to represent an NPC.

Hero_of_Canton

Post by Hero_of_Canton » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:22 pm

BookBarbarian wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:20 pm
Glorelendil wrote:
Indeed. I'd just stat them as NPCs and be done. It's much easier than making a High Level PC character to represent an NPC.
What I’m planning to do is to stat such LMCs in the format the authors of the AIM sourcebook Rhovanion Region Guide used for King Tharanduil of the Wood Elves. He is 15th level based on his number of hit dice. I see no need to develop more than that. Knowing what level they equate to in the AIM version of D&D 5e is to me quite helpful. So much so I’ll be doing likewise for “lesser names” in ME such as the surviving members of Thorin’s company.

Glorelendil

Post by Glorelendil » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:25 pm

Hero_of_Canton wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:22 pm
BookBarbarian wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:20 pm
Glorelendil wrote:
What I’m planning to do is to stat such LMCs in the format the authors of the AIM sourcebook Rhovanion Region Guide used for King Tharanduil of the Wood Elves. He is 15th level based on his number of hit dice. I see no need to develop more than that. Knowing what level they equate to in the AIM version of D&D 5e is to me quite helpful. So much so I’ll be doing likewise for “lesser names” in ME such as the surviving members of Thorin’s company.

Admittedly it's sometimes fun just to stat things up, even if the stats never matter.

(This post dedicated to all those characters I created, in detail, with no intention of ever playing.)
The Munchkin Formerly Known as Elfcrusher
Journey Computer | Combat Simulator | Bestiary | Weapon Calculator

BookBarbarian

Post by BookBarbarian » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:19 pm

Glorelendil wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:25 pm
Admittedly it's sometimes fun just to stat things up, even if the stats never matter.

(This post dedicated to all those characters I created, in detail, with no intention of ever playing.)
One day I might be able to be a player again. Then I'll have the choice of which of the many characters I've rolled up to play.

Majestic

Post by Majestic » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:02 pm

One bummer with statting out the bigwigs of the setting is that the PCs could, in theory, surpass their Patrons. This has happened in my game, where the Envoy to King Thranduil is now like Level 18! :o

Not that this is really a problem, per se. I'll probably move some of those major characters of the setting (Beorn, Elrond, Thranduil, etc.) to Level 20 (or higher), or at least consider them as being that high.
Adventure Summaries for my long-running group (currently playing through The Darkening of Mirkwood/Mirkwood Campaign), and the Tale of Years for a second, lower-level group (in the same campaign).

BookBarbarian

Post by BookBarbarian » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:41 pm

Majestic wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:02 pm
One bummer with statting out the bigwigs of the setting is that the PCs could, in theory, surpass their Patrons. This has happened in my game, where the Envoy to King Thranduil is now like Level 18! :o

Not that this is really a problem, per se. I'll probably move some of those major characters of the setting (Beorn, Elrond, Thranduil, etc.) to Level 20 (or higher), or at least consider them as being that high.
This is one reason I would rather have them at say CR 20 than Level 20.