Eafolc as playable culture

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
Sama64

Eafolc as playable culture

Post by Sama64 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:14 am

I read accross the excellent Rhovanion region guide and I like a lot the entries about eafolc.

But I am surprised and disappointed there is no possibility to have this culture as a playable one (like the wild Hobbits).
Although there are several mentions of this Culture in the guide.

Are there the characteristics of this culture elsewhere?
Even a homebrew one?

MrUkpyr

Re: Eafolc as playable culture

Post by MrUkpyr » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:36 am

Sama64 wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:14 am
I read accross the excellent Rhovanion region guide and I like a lot the entries about eafolc.

SNIPPAGE

Are there the characteristics of this culture elsewhere?
The Eafolc are the "Woodmen of Mountain Hall, pg 49 of the Rhovanion Region guide.
MrUkpyr
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:24 am

MrUkpyr wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:36 am
The Eafolc are the "Woodmen of Mountain Hall, pg 49 of the Rhovanion Region guide.
Sorry, that is incorrect. The éafolc are the River-folk who ply the Anduin and gather and trade at Trader's Island. There should be a sidebar about them, maybe around page 10 of the Rhovanion Region Guide (that's where it's found in TOR's The Heart of the Wild).

Their main language would be the Vale of Anduin tongue.

The River-folk are of mixed stock: "they count the forefathers of the Woodmen among their ancestors, but their blood is mingled with that of wandering wild men akin to the Dunlendings."
Last edited by Otaku-sempai on Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:23 am

I've done some of the basic work of writing up the Éafolc as a Heroic Culture for AiMe, minus (for now) Cultural Virtues and Heirlooms. I lifted the descriptive text from The Heart of the Wild for TOR.
~ River-folk of the Anduin ~

"The River-folk live and fish in these [middle-]marshes; they build small huts on stilts above the waters."

At Home on the River
The history of the Vales of Anduin is a history of migration. The Northmen were driven up and down the river over the centuries. They fled overcrowding, famine and plague; they fled harsh winters or the drought of summers, the powers of darkness and the machinations of the Necromancer.

The ancestors of the horse-folk, for example, moved from the Vales to the East Bight, from the Bight back to the southern Vales, from the south to the sources of Anduin, and from there to the plains of Calenardhon where they became the Rohirrim. Similarly, the ancestors of the Woodmen travelled from region to region until they settled in the safety of Mirkwood and in the dales along the Misty Mountains to the east.

Some denizens of the Vales never settled at all. Called the éafolc ("River-folk") by the Beornings and the Woodmen, these Men come of mixed stock: they count the forefathers of the Woodmen among their ancestors, but their blood is mingled with that of wandering wild men akin to the Dunlendings. The éafolc spend most of the year on the water, living on house-barges that wallow along the Anduin. They do build houses on stilts and piles sunk into the mud of the riverbank, but these are only temporary dwellings and vanish after a few years. They do not farm, but survive by fishing, hunting, gathering and trading; the river is their home, their road, their larder and their defence against their foes.

Description
The West Anduin Vales is where the River-folk of the Anduin are most often encountered, but they paddle as far north as the Vales of Gundabad, and as far south as Nen Hithoel above the Falls of Rauros on little boats. Their houseboats -- barges big enough for a whole family, including provisions and livestock -- are much slower and less agile, and often must be hauled with ropes from the riverbanks when going upstream, and so rarely stray beyond the safe waters between the Old Ford and the borders of the haunted Golden Wood.

River-folk traders have a reputation as untrustworthy tricksters, and certainly they try to pawn off worthless 'magic charms' and broken knick-knacks if they can. However, most of their trade goods are of good quality. They bring furs, amber and timber from the north of the Great River, and carry wine, meat and iron tools from the south.

River-folk of the Anduin Names
Kin of the Woodmen of Wilderland, the River-folk of the Anduin share many of their names, though River-folk nicknames are often connected to the River and its flora and fauna.

Male Names: Adalard, Ageric, Agilfrid, Alaric, Alberic, Amalric, Amand, Andagis, Atalaric, Atanagild, Ansegisel, Ansovald, Aregisel, Arnulf, Audovald, Avagis, Badegisel, Baldac, Balderic, Barald, Beormud, Beorn, Beran, Beranald, Berangar, Bertelfried, Cilderic, Eberulf, Eboric, Ebregisel, Ebrimuth, Ediulf, Ermanaric, Euric, Eutaric, Evermud, Evoric, Frideger, Gararic, Garivald, Geberic, Gisalric, Gerold, Grimald, Grimbald, Grimbeorn, Grimfast, Gundovald, Hartgard, Hartmut, Hartmid, Hathus, Heriwulf, Hildebald, Imnachar, Ingelram, Ingund, Iwald, Iwgar, Leudast, Magneric, Malaric, Maracar, Merovech, Munderic, Odo, Odovacar, Otbert, Ragnacar, Ramnulf, Rathar, Reginar, Ricfred, Rigunth, Roderic, Sigeric, Sigibert, Sunnegisil, Theodard, Theodebert, Theodemir, Theodwin, Theudebald, Theuderic, Thorismund, Walcaud, Waleran, Widuven, Willicar, Wulferd.
Female Names: Adosinda, Amalfrida, Amalina, Ava, Avagisa, Avina, Beranhild, Brunihild, Gailavira, Garsendis, Geleswinta, Gelvira, Grimhild, Hermesind, Heva, Hilduara, Radegund.
River-folk Nicknames: The Birder, the Fisher, the Grim Hawk, the Kingfisher, the Nimble, the Patient, the Reckless, the Swan, the Swift, the Trader, the Water-lily.

Standard of Living
River-folk survive by fishing, hunting, gathering and trading, spending most of the year on the Great River. Their culture ranks as Frugal.

Bonus Equipment: A travelling cloak, travelling gear for the current season, a belt dagger, 2d6 silver pennies, plus choose any one: a bag of preserved fish, a string net, a wood or bone flute, a pendant or decorative leather armband.

River-folk of the Anduin Traits
Ability Score Increase -- Your Wisdom score increases by 1 and you may increase two additional ability scores by 1.

Adventuring Age -- 16-30. River-folk don't usually become adventurers before their 16th year of age, and rarely continue beyond their forties, when they retire to serve their family and folk.

Size -- Most River-folk stand between 5 and 6 feet tall. Your size is Medium.

Speed -- Your base walking speed is 30 feet.

River-born -- You have proficiency in the Perception skill.

Starting Virtue -- You gain one River-folk of the Anduin Cultural Virtue of your choice.

Languages -- You speak the Vale of Anduin Tongue.
It might make sense to have the River-folk share the Lake-men Virtue of Water Legs.
Last edited by Otaku-sempai on Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

Otaku-sempai

Re: Eafolc as playable culture (Virtues and Heirlooms)

Post by Otaku-sempai » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:00 pm

Here is my first attempt at Cultural Virtues and Cultural Heirlooms for the River-folk of the Anduin. Feedback is welcome.
River-folk of the Anduin Cultural Virtues
River-folk of the Anduin may pick the new Virtues described below, as well as the following ones listed on pages 111-112 of the Adventures in Middle-earth Player's Guide: Trader's Savvy, Water Legs.

Far Travelled
...they paddle as far north as the Vales of Gundabad, and as far south as Nen Hithoel above the Falls of Rauros on little boats.

You are familiar with the customs and traditions of all the folk who dwell by the Great River from Gundabad to the Falls of Rauros. You have advantage on all Intelligence (Traditions) ability checks in dealings with such folk.

Tireless Traveler
The éafolc spend most of the year on the water...

You are accustomed to piloting river-craft through rapids and and long stretches of dangerous water. You may ignore the first level of exhaustion that you gain. This ability cannot be used again until you have taken a long rest.

Voice of the River
...the river is their home, their road...

You act as a travelling minstrel, sharing the stories and songs of the éafolc and passing along news up and down the Anduin.

You are proficient in Performance and whenever you make an Intelligence (Performance) ability check, you add double your proficiency bonus to the check, instead of the normal proficiency bonus.

River-folk of the Anduin Cultural Heirlooms

Spear of the Fisher (spear)
The River-folk acquired these spears long ago, through trade with the Wood-elves. Well balanced with barbed heads, they are ideal for spearing fish in shallow waters.

You gain a + 1 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this spear. Additionally, on your first strike you gain advantage on the attack roll.

Armband of Warding
Constructed of tough boiled leather and engraved with strange sigils, this armband is worn on the off-hand arm of its owner. You gain a + 1 bonus to AC against ranged attacks while wearing this bracer.

Whistle of Birdcalls
These objects appear to be ordinary signal whistles carved from wood, but they are actually gifts left by grateful boat-spirits. By blowing this whistle you can replicate the call of any bird that is common to the Vales of Anduin out to a range of 60 feet.

Sama64

Post by Sama64 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:28 am

very nice, thank you Otaku-Sempai.
In fact i was looking for the eafolc stats, because i built "Rivermen of the Northern Eriador" stats (the folk described in MERP "rangers of the north, kingdom of arthedain" to play in TA 1640.

Here is my attempt :
Rivermen of Northern Eriador (=Sîredain), from rivers Lhûn & Baranduin :

Bonus Equipment: A leather jerkin and breeches, sturdy boots, travelling gear for the current season, a belt dagger, 2d6 silver pennies, plus choose any one: a hatchet, a woolen blanket or bedroll, a fishing rod and line, a dice set.

Ability Score Increase – Your Constitution score increases by 1 and you may increase two additional ability scores by 1.

Adventuring Age – 16-30. Adventuring is for the young. Even veteran Rivermen who do not take up adventuring careers often pack it in and return to more civilized lands if they haven’t succeeding in making something of themselves before they’ve reached their fortieth year.

Size – Your size is medium.

Speed – Your base walking speed is 30 feet.

Mindful of Danger – You have proficiency in the Survival skill.

Born on water : You have proficiency with water vehicles.

Starting Virtue – You gain one Rivermen of Northern Eriador Cultural Virtue of your choice.

Languages – Player-heroes speak, read and write the Common Tongue and might know one other local language related to their background (speak only). NPC Rivermen speak Westron and potentially one other language

Available Cultural Virtues :
The ones from "Men of the Lake" except "Bowman of the guild" and "Merchant prince"
Additional Virtue : River Blooded (Confer Rhovanion guide p 101)

Available Cultural Heirlooms : « Barbed Fishing Spear » (Cf Rhovanion guide p60)
+ "Brazen Armour" and "Keening bog stone" from the Men of the Lake

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:33 pm

Sama64 wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:28 am
very nice, thank you Otaku-Sempai.
In fact i was looking for the eafolc stats, because i built "Rivermen of the Northern Eriador" stats (the folk described in MERP "rangers of the north, kingdom of arthedain" to play in TA 1640.
I've done something like that for TOR and AiMe, but as a variant for Men of Bree for Bree-landers (the Outlanders of Eriador) who have pushed out into the Lone-lands and the country between the River Lhûn and the Ered Luin. I submitted my write up to the Hall of Fire webzine. The Rivermen for MERP was my original inspiration, but I didn't end up using much from that.

MrUkpyr

Post by MrUkpyr » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:23 pm

Otaku-sempai wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:24 am
MrUkpyr wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:36 am
Sorry, that is incorrect. The éafolc are the River-folk who ply the Anduin and gather and trade at Trader's Island. There should be a sidebar about them, maybe around page 10 of the Rhovanion Region Guide (that's where it's found in TOR's The Heart of the Wild).
OOPS - Otaku is correct. My apologizes for the misinformation.
MrUkpyr
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

MrUkpyr

Post by MrUkpyr » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:27 pm

Sama64 wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:28 am
MUCH SNIPPAGE
Rivermen of Northern Eriador (=Sîredain), from rivers Lhûn & Baranduin :

Mindful of Danger – You have proficiency in the Survival skill.

Born on water : You have proficiency with water vehicles.
If I might suggest...
Mindful of Danger - You have proficiency in Perception, and have a DC-15 Perception roll to avoid being caught flat-footed.

Born on water - you have proficiency with water vehicles, and with Athletics (Swimming).
MrUkpyr

Sama64

Post by Sama64 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:55 am

MrUkpyr wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:27 pm
If I might suggest...
Mindful of Danger - You have proficiency in Perception, and have a DC-15 Perception roll to avoid being caught flat-footed.

Born on water - you have proficiency with water vehicles, and with Athletics (Swimming).

Thanks for the proposal ; i like it :)
being caught flat-footed
you mean being surprised ?