Werewolf of Mirkwood's Regeneration

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
Majestic

Werewolf of Mirkwood's Regeneration

Post by Majestic » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:09 am

I'm getting ready to run "The Dying of the Light" tomorrow night for my group. The PCs will likely be facing (hopefully for the final time) the devastating Werewolf of MIrkwood (plus a Nazgul or two, I expect).

One thing is puzzling me, though. [***Warning: SPOILERS for the Mirkwood Campaign ahead!***]

On p. 105 it says "To defeat the Werewolf of Mirkwood once and for all the Company must first slay its body — this requires reducing the wolf to 0 hit points (bearing in mind its ability to regain hit points once in a round if it would be reduced to 0) and it must fail its Death saving throws (if allowed)."

To my knowledge (and I've searched and read all I can find about the Werewolf in books for both AME and TOR), the Werewolf of Mirkwood doesn't seem to have any kind of Regeneration ability where it can regain Hit Points. It can hop over into another body once it's Hit Points are reduced to 0, but I don't see any ability to heal.

Now, mind you, I like the idea of it being able to heal some. I think I'll go ahead and add this ability to it's arsenal, as it should make it a tad tougher (and my PCs are really powerful).

Does anybody know of anywhere that this ability to regain HP is indicated for this powerful adversary?
Adventure Summaries for my long-running group (currently playing through The Darkening of Mirkwood/Mirkwood Campaign), and the Tale of Years for a second, lower-level group (in the same campaign).

Gilrohir Arncelevon

Re: Werewolf of Mirkwood's Regeneration

Post by Gilrohir Arncelevon » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:04 am

Loremasters guide, page 113, in the middle of the stat block for a werewolf is the "Fell Spirit" power, which is the ability to "regenerate"

Hope that helps

zedturtle

Post by zedturtle » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:28 am

And please note that the wording (for the note in the Mirkwood Campaign) is a ‘common English’ phrasing there and not game mechanics. What actually happens is the Werewolf sustains damage that would bring it to 0 hp, Fell Spirit is triggered (since it can now take that reaction), the Werewolf gains temporary hp and then the sustained damage is applied. If the Werewolf still has regular hp (or regular hp + temporary hp if the damage done was less than the temporary hp gained) then it’s still up.

So it ‘regains’ hp in the sense of not losing them due to the reaction but never recovers hp in a mechanical sense.
Jacob Rodgers, occasional nitwit.

This space intentionally blank.

Majestic

Post by Majestic » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:09 pm

I see now that there's a newer version of the LM guide that I hadn't downloaded (I had v2 of the PG, but not the LG).

My PDF (and hard copy) both didn't have the Fell Spirit or the Hard-Eyed (the latter makes a lot more sense, now, as otherwise the Savage Attack ability was not likely to ever be triggered).

Thanks so much!
Adventure Summaries for my long-running group (currently playing through The Darkening of Mirkwood/Mirkwood Campaign), and the Tale of Years for a second, lower-level group (in the same campaign).

Majestic

Post by Majestic » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:15 pm

I see now that the Werewolf is scaled WAY down in version 2. Stats are down, way less HP, etc.

I think I'm going to leave most of that as originally published, as my group is very, very strong.

They'll not only be facing this beast, but I will probably throw a Nazgul or two at them as well.

Majestic

Post by Majestic » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:40 am

After an epic night of playing, the only thing I wish I'd done differently is to throw TWO Ringwraiths at them (instead of one).

You'd think the forces they ended up fighting: The Werewolf of Mirkwood (with the higher stats and the best of both versions), the Lieutenant of Dol Guldur (Dark and Unclad) and four Wild Wolves, would be enough to challenge a normal group of heroes.

The bad guys lasted barely five rounds, and most of the PCs had barely taken any damage. There were a number of saves that they BARELY made (and they scraped and clawed to make what they could, using bonus dice from each other and Inspiration and every trick they could), but for the most part they cleaved through these powerful foes.

They had a blast, though, and it was a very fun evening. In the end, one PC resisted the Werewolf taking him over (another PC was begging that it happen to him!), which would have been crazy and wild as well.

Scarytincan

Post by Scarytincan » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:23 pm

I have the newest version, and am also pretty sure I will need to scale things up when my party gets to that point. Would you mind sharing the original stats? I have been considering using the typo str score of 22 iirc...