Help with Managing 'Shadow'

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
Doorman

Help with Managing 'Shadow'

Post by Doorman » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:51 am

Hello Folks, So I am having a bit of confusion with how to manage shadow points. As soon as the PC gets shadow points, do they begin to suffer the effects of Degeneration? Or are those only for 'Permanent' shadow points? I'm referencing the Degeneration table on page 184 of the Player's guide.

From how I read it, it looks like they experience degeneration with the first shadow point, but that would mean that after they reach 4 shadow points, they would have the most severe effects of shadow, and they haven't even exceeded their wisdom score yet. Thanks for the clarification.

Also, if they are say at 4 shadow points, and they are 'Murderous', do I sometimes make them do murderous things, even though they themselves have not stated they did that thing. For Example I could say "While you are talking to the man, you lunge at him with your sword and threaten to kill him". It seems this should only be done after they are in the Miserable state.

Thank you!

Kenomica

Re: Help with Managing 'Shadow'

Post by Kenomica » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:04 am

I'm still learning too - so, apologies if I get things wrong, but I'm pretty sure you only gain a degeneration after a bout of madness.

A character is miserable when their shadow is higher than their wisdom score.

Once miserable, rolling for an ability check and scoring a number which is equal to or lower than the difference between your shadow points and wisdom score causes the bout of madness.

zedturtle

Post by zedturtle » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:07 am

You'll want to take a look at page 184 of the Player's Guide but Kenomica has the right of it... a hero that is Miserable might suffer a Bout of Madness. When a hero has a Bout of Madness, they lose all temporary Shadow points and gain 1 permanent Shadow point and a degeneration as well.

As for your second question, take a look at Degeneration Consequences and Failure Aggravation on page 185... your example for a Murderous hero might be a great example of a failure aggravation or the consequence of failing that DC 15 Wisdom saving throw required when the hero is in a situation in which their fourth degeneration is relevant.

You'll want to work with a player to roleplay out the consequences of degeneration... failing the saving throw against the darker nature or having a Bout of Madness means that you might temporarily take over, but lots of players will relish a chance to play a bit against type. Of course, that comes with its own dangers too.
Jacob Rodgers, occasional nitwit.

This space intentionally blank.

Doorman

Post by Doorman » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:28 am

So we just started Wilderland adventures and when you enter Mirkwood, each player has to make two saving throws against shadow. A couple of characters only failed one saving throw and therefore earned one temporary shadow point. Another character failed both and ended up with two temporary shadow points. So if understand you correctly, neither would have any degenerative affects at this point, is that correct?

Sandor

zedturtle

Post by zedturtle » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:30 am

Right. You don’t gain any degeneration until you have a bout of madness.
Jacob Rodgers, occasional nitwit.

This space intentionally blank.