Wanderer aptitude and Long Rest

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
Anarfin

Re: Wanderer aptitude and Long Rest

Post by Anarfin » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:27 am

The Known Land benefit states: "You know at least one place in any Known Lands where you can safely take a long rest: a settlement where you have friends, perhaps, or a hidden cabin in the woods or simply a dry and defensible cavern or a secret glade", so the LM do not need to be too severe when he settles this matter with player.

So if it's "at least one", i see no problem that players character knows more than one place - if it makes sense.
As a rule of thumb I allow up to 3 if terrain is Easy or Moderate and it's Free Land or Borderland, up to 2 if is Hard/Severe in Wild Land and only one in Daunting terrain and/or Shadow Land/Dark Land. If it's players homeland or he has Region-lore speciality in this land, I may lower the prerequisites (but still no more than 3)

For example, I agreed that Mirkwood elf Wanderer in my party knows three safe places in Woodland Realm (Severe but Border Land and homeland), which is one of hers Known Lands. She is from there, she has some friends, she knows the paths, places to stay and the land is relatively safe.
She also knows two safe places in Western Mirkwood, but only one in Grey Mountains Narrow (she could know one more, but the player decided that her character knows only one at this moment) and one in Mountains of Mirkwood (because it's Dark Land and Daunting terrain).

Until now we have discussed most of such places, but we left those locations in Grey Mountains Narrow and in Mountains of Mirkwood for later. When the time will come, and party will be planning their journey there, I will ask her to describe them and pinpoint their location. And no, I do not fear any powergaming, from players side (like picking very convenient location etc.), but if you like to have such matters discussed in advance, you can totally do this - whatever suits your style of play :)
Sama64 wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:58 am
so i won't change the aptitude of the wanderer but i will ask him to select an Hex for each Known Land, to determine where is his safe-place.
BTW it's worth to mention that the hex map is for LM and the player's map is the plain one. Step one: Embarkation in Journeys chapter explains, that the players are planning their journey on Player's map and the Loremaster consults the route with his. Of course more experienced players know which land is safe/dangerous and easy/hard to traverse, but from our experience we know that is more fun to plan the travel route on plain, more in-game map :)
But yes, since he is Wanderer and he Knows that Land, you can give him hex map to pinpoint hex, that will be certainly more convenient.
Last edited by Anarfin on Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:03 am, edited 3 times in total.

quincypostman

Post by quincypostman » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:58 am

When the wanderer in my group brought this up when they were in the middle of 'Of Leaves and Stewed Hobbits', right after the battle at the ring fort, I simply told her she did know of a place, but it had to be at least 20 miles away in the wrong direction. The group decided that it was not worth losing that much time (2 days at least) in rescuing Dindy from the goblins.

I echo the sentiment of what others have posted. The locations need to be planned destinations on their journey (with the appropriate extra embarkation and arrival rolls).

Hero_of_Canton

Post by Hero_of_Canton » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:10 pm

Sama64 wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:58 am
...BTW it's worth to mention that the hex map is for LM and the player's map is the plain one. Step one: Embarkation in Journeys chapter explains, that the players are planning their journey on Player's map and the Loremaster consults the route with his. Of course more experienced players know which land is safe/dangerous and easy/hard to traverse, but from our experience we know that is more fun to plan the travel route on plain, more in-game map :) But yes, since he is Wanderer and he Knows that Land, you can give him hex map to pinpoint hex, that will be certainly more convenient.
Also, all players with their own copy of the AIM Player's Guide have access to the colored hex map inside the rear cover of said book. Zealous Munchkins will commit it to memory or take a picture of it with their smartphone so they'll have it even if you don't allow referring to game-books during play.

Hero of Canton - "Damn! I was gonna get me an ear too!"

Anarfin

Post by Anarfin » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:51 am

Hero_of_Canton wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:10 pm
Zealous Munchkins will commit it to memory or take a picture of it with their smartphone so they'll have it even if you don't allow referring to game-books during play.
1. You play with people that try to cheat LM? If yes, change them. If not, no reason to bother about potential cheaters.
2. Cellphones on AiME gaming session is not my kind of play, so I do not have such problem :)
3. Using maps without hex is mostly for getting more flavour from planning journey. If the players cannot get it, maybe LM should skip it. Its not that the world will end if they'll use hex map.

Hero_of_Canton

Post by Hero_of_Canton » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:14 pm

Anarfin wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:51 am
Hero_of_Canton wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:10 pm
Zealous Munchkins will commit it to memory or take a picture of it with their smartphone so they'll have it even if you don't allow referring to game-books during play.
1. You play with people that try to cheat LM? If yes, change them. If not, no reason to bother about potential cheaters.
2. Cellphones on AiME gaming session is not my kind of play, so I do not have such problem :)
3. Using maps without hex is mostly for getting more flavour from planning journey. If the players cannot get it, maybe LM should skip it. Its not that the world will end if they'll use hex map.
FYI - I was not referring to my current small gaming group comprised of family members and close friends. I was referring to some of the hundreds of gamers I've played alongside or game mastered for in the last 41 years. I started playing D&D before the OD&D supplements "Eldritch Wizardry" and "Gods & Demi Gods" were even published, so I've seen all kinds of "player antics". :) This forum seems to be frequented by Loremaster types and I figured they'd all could relate.

Hero of Canton - "You watch out for that girl! She can kill you with her brain!"