Wanderer aptitude and Long Rest

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
Sama64

Wanderer aptitude and Long Rest

Post by Sama64 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:38 am

Hi everyone
I will start my 1st AiME adventure as a LM and I am a bit confused with the Journey Phase and the Wanderer aptitude.

If I am right, usually they is no possibility of Long Rest during the Journey Phase (and it is a very good rule, IMO).

But the aptitude of the wanderer "known lands" tells that :
You know at least one place in each Known Land where you can safely take a long rest: a settlement
where you have friends, perhaps, or a hidden cabin in the woods or simply a dry and defensible cavern or
secret glade.
So, everytime there is a wanderer in the party, and they are travelling in a Known Land, the party could benefit from Long Rest ?

so it severely minors the Long rest limitation in Journey Phase...

Could you please confirm this ?

Wanton

Re: Wanderer aptitude and Long Rest

Post by Wanton » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:19 pm

Actually, it forces the players to use their skills to "PLAN". When they plan their journeys now (not at first level but afterwards) to be from Starting point to Sanctuary to Sanctuary to end journey they can take "long rest" at sanctuaries. Which, in addition to the potential to gain a patron, is a major benefit in gaining sanctuaries. (The long rest).

If you have a wanderer, (IMO) he has a pretty limited set of "known lands", so I don't think it will over shadow the limited "long rest" rule. It just makes the party plan on what paths they take (and usually the Wanderer will be the guide and I"m sure he/she will take the party through lands they are most familiar with).

Just my thoughts. :ugeek:

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:04 pm

There can be stops along a Journey that can effectively act as temporary Sanctuaries for the purpose of obtaining a long rest. Think of Thorin & Company's stop at Beorn's house in The Hobbit. This also would include stops at secure inns such as the Prancing Pony. Even in Thranduil's cells, the Dwarves would have been able to benefit from long rests.

It is much more difficult, of course, if you are using the optional rules for rests that would make the duration much longer than eight hours (a week, if I remember right).
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

Sama64

Post by Sama64 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:07 pm

for me, the benefits given by the wanderer's aptitude interfere with the Journey phase and the Long Rest (for me it must, in theory, last for 1 week, except for specific conditions, like beorn's house or the prancing pony).

the problem is that if i cancel this aptitude for the wanderer, how could i replace it not to disandvantage the player ?

Anarfin

Post by Anarfin » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:18 pm

Sama64

Maybe you found those, but just in case long rests during journeys were discussed here. There are more ways to do this:
https://forums.cubicle7.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=9415

Wanton is right - planning your journey is a key.
BTW, from my experience, having Wanderer in your team greatly improves safety of the journey, mostly because he lowers Peril Rating (and thus DC tests of entire party) on his Known Lands by 2 and his personal events by another 2. An additional places to take Long Rests are cherry on the cake :)

Gilrohir Arncelevon

Post by Gilrohir Arncelevon » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:33 pm

Hi there

First off, a Wanderer at low levels only has a number of known lands equal to 3 plus Wisdom modifier - in general that will mean 4 or 5 known lands. Middle Earth is pretty big, with at least 8 regions in mirkwood and 8 more moving down the Anduin - and that's just part of wilderland. So there are plenty of regions where the Wanderer will not be able to help with lond rests.

Secondly, I think its fair to insist (as LM) that the wanderer at 1st level either (1) chooses known lands in and around his home region (so a barding would have to chose regions around Dale, etc) or (2) chooses no known lands initially, but can designate any region as a known land after he has travelled through it up to his maximum number. My logic for this is that there must be a backstory for how the wanderer gained his special knowledge - logically he has to live in the region or a neighbouring region in his childhood or he has to have actually travelled through it. I have also allowed players to come up with a sensible backstory to explain their knowledge which might allow them to have a different set - for example one of my players had a wanderer from Lake Town and made up a good backstory about travelling with his father through Mirkwood - allowing him to claim the long marshes, woodland realm, northern mirkwood and a couple of the eastern Anduin vales.

It makes no sense for a player to argue he has, for example, known lands which are in no way linked - a dwarf might argue he has some known lands along the route to the blue mountains, but known lands in the heart of mirkwood seem very difficult to justify - though a wood elf might be able to make such and argument, as might a woodman. Its really a question of dealing with this in a sensible and logical way.

Separately, I also insist that each wanderer actually discusses with me and agrees in advance WHERE his known long rest locations are situated (ie what hex) - he has to agree with me the nature of the long rest location so it can be described accurately and makes sense - a cave in the mountains, hills or even forest makes sense - but not in the flat dalelands or the middle of the long marsh for example. This means that any journey which wishes to take advantage of one of the wanderers known locations for a long rest has to actually pass through the relevant hex - that can result in a major detour (some regions are very large) and there is nothing to stop a LM throwing a few obstacles in the parties way if it adds such a detour.

As such, I don;t see the rules as a major problem - its how you implement and play them - and most players actually like this type of approach - it allows them to explain their knowledge and actually describe their secret shelters.

Hope that helps

Anarfin

Post by Anarfin » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:05 pm

I totally agree with Gilrohir.

It is worth to point out one more thing - even if wanderer has a "safe-house" in every land along the route, stopping in each one of them wouln't be such a good idea.
Reasons:
-You have to begin new journey after every long rest, rolling for embarkation (sometimes starting in Severe or Daunting terrain, which increase chances for low Embarkation roll.).
-Even if the journeys will be short, each of them is another d2 events (with additional +1/+2 if the journey starts in more difficult terrain). More events = bigger chance for failed Event rolls and their consequences (Shadow Points, Fatigue etc.). Sometimes is better to take longer route, without long rest after every minor leg of a journey.

Remember also, that each time the company ends its journey (this includes wanderer's "hideout"), Guide has to make Arrival Roll. If the destination (in this case "hideout") is in Hard or Severe Terrain, it suffers -1 modifier, if in Daunting it has -2 to roll. Given the fact, that every roll 4 or less have some drawback for the characters, the more arrival rolls you are making, the risk of getting extra Shadow Points and Fatigue at the end of journey is greater. So yes, the players have to decide if they want to take the long rest (and regain hit dices, class abilities etc.) in some "relatively" safe place, risking that the world, danger and Shadow will take their toll on them anyway.

If you want to play the "grim and gritty" version, you could rule that Arrival Roll after ending journey in Wanderer's "hideouts" are made with d6 instead of d8 (because they are "emergency safe-places" without any conveniences), but be prepared that could end very badly for the characters.

Hope it will help :)
Last edited by Anarfin on Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sama64

Post by Sama64 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:58 am

it helps a lot ! Thanks Gilrohir and Anarfin.
As it is my first time as a AiME LM, i did not perceive the facts you both listed.
And moreover, I like a lot the proposal of Gilrohir :
I also insist that each wanderer actually discusses with me and agrees in advance WHERE his known long rest locations are situated (ie what hex) - he has to agree with me the nature of the long rest location so it can be described accurately and makes sense
so i won't change the aptitude of the wanderer but i will ask him to select an Hex for each Known Land, to determine where is his safeplace.

Gilrohir Arncelevon

Post by Gilrohir Arncelevon » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:04 pm

Glad it helped, that's what these forums are all about :D

Majestic

Post by Majestic » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:23 pm

Great answers, guys. I just looked and our Wanderer only selected Regions. We hadn't specified what *actual locations* within those Regions would have the appropriate settlements (for a long rest), so before this week's game I think we'll establish that.
Adventure Summaries of our campaign, currently playing through The Darkening of Mirkwood