New (Optional) Monster: Beithir

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
Otaku-sempai

New (Optional) Monster: Beithir

Post by Otaku-sempai » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:11 pm

I'm currently working on an optional Heroic Culture for TOR and AiMe, the Foresters of Eryn Vorn, that I plan to submit to The Hall of Fire once I am satisfied with it. In the mean time, I've cobbled together a critter for the Cape of Eryn Vorn: the Beithir.

The Beither is a creature of Celtic myth and legend. The stats for Adventures in Middle-earth are derived from those of the D&D 5e Behir, but without the ability of Lightning Breath. Also, I have added the poisoned stinger of the wyvern. I'm guessing that the Challenge rating can remain the same.

I look forward to feedback, including any corrections that might be needed. I will wait until I get some feedback here before I try writing it up for TOR.

Beithir
The Beithir is a large, snake-like creature, possibly related to Dragons, found on the Cape of Eryn Vorn and the estuary of the Baranduin. The serpent's tail is equipped with a poisonous stinger on its end which carries a powerful venom. Beithirs are water-dwellers inhabiting estuaries, deep pools and small lakes, often emerging suddenly from the water to attack on land.

Beithir
Huge monstrosity

STR 23 (+6), DEX 16 (+3), CON 18 (+4), INT 7 (-2), WIS 14 (+2), CHA 12 (+1)

Armour Class 17 (natural armor)
Hit Points 168 (16d12 + 64)
Speed 50 ft., swim 50 ft.

Skills Perception +6, Stealth +7
Senses darkvision 90 ft., passive Perception 16
Languages Draconic
Challenge 10 (5,900 XP)

Actions
Multiattack The beithir makes three attacks: one with its bite, one to constrict, and one with its stinger.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +10 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 22 (3d10 + 6) piercing damage.

Constrict. Melee Weapon Attack: +10 to hit, reach 5 ft., one Large or smaller creature, Hit: 17 (2d10 + 6) slashing damage. The target is grappled (escape DC 16) if the Beithir isn't already constricting a creature, and the target is restrained until this grapple ends.

Stinger. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 10 ft., one creature. Hit: 11 (2d6 + 4) piercing damage. The target must make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw, taking 24 (7d6) poison damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Swallow. The beithir makes one bite attack against a Medium or smaller target it is grappling. If the attack hits, the target is also swallowed, and the grapple ends. While swallowed, the target is blinded and restrained, it has total cover against attacks and other effects outside the beithir, and it takes 21 (6d6) acid damage at the start of each of the beithir's turns. A beithir can only have one creature swallowed at a time.

If the beithir takes 30 damage or more on a single turn from the swallowed creature, the beithir must succeed on a DC 14 Constitution saving throw at the end of that turn or regurgitate the creature, which falls prone in a space within 10 feet of the beithir. If the beithir dies, a swallowed creature is no longer restrained by it and can escape from the corpse by using 15 feet of movement, exiting prone.
Last edited by Otaku-sempai on Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

Halbarad

Re: New (Optional) Monster: Beithir

Post by Halbarad » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:45 pm

I think it’s rather good OS. The Beithir (Baihir/Behir) is, I believe, specifically Scottish and another potential denizen of Loch Ness(along with Nessie herself). I remember reading that it is thought that it might possibly be an electric eel of prodigious size. That’s probably where the DnD Behir gets it’s electrical bolt breath weapon from. If you are going to cast your creation as another of the Dragon offshoots, then the electrical bolt breath might work ok, or at least a weakened version of it. You might have to get rid if the stinger tail though, if you did go down that route.🙂

Anarfin

Post by Anarfin » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:30 pm

Otaku-sempai wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:11 pm
If the beithir dies, a swallowed creature is no longer restrained by it and can escape from the corpse by using 15 feet of movement, exiting prone.
Exiting which way...? ;)

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:38 am

Anarfin wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:30 pm
Otaku-sempai wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:11 pm
If the beithir dies, a swallowed creature is no longer restrained by it and can escape from the corpse by using 15 feet of movement, exiting prone.
Exiting which way...? ;)
Presumably the way it went in (though the LM might have other ideas)! :lol:
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:41 am

Halbarad wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:45 pm
I remember reading that it is thought that it might possibly be an electric eel of prodigious size. That’s probably where the DnD Behir gets it’s electrical bolt breath weapon from. If you are going to cast your creation as another of the Dragon offshoots, then the electrical bolt breath might work ok, or at least a weakened version of it. You might have to get rid if the stinger tail though, if you did go down that route.🙂
I decided to use what seems to be the more traditional description and go with the stinger. But, yes, I assumed the D&D behir was actually inspired by the legendary beithir.

Halbarad

Post by Halbarad » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:13 am

Indeed. Anyway, I think it’s a pretty decent addition to the stable of critters.🙂

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:10 am

I've finished writing up the Beithir for TOR; it's posted in the House Rules forum.