AiME Game Mechanics Help

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
Doorman

AiME Game Mechanics Help

Post by Doorman » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:52 am

I am about to start an AiME adventure/journey tomorrow, but have a few questions.

1. As Loremaster, when I roll for Events from the 'Journey Events Table' in the Players guide, how do I define the specifics of each event. I am particularly interested in those events which involve encounters with the enemy such as roll 11. The Enemy is Abroad. Any pointers on how to best handle this type of roll and how to choose what type of enemy they encounter, how many etc... Thank you!

Most of what is in the 'Journey Events Table' seems rather 'arbitrary' as to the particulars of a given event. Your help and guidance is much appreciated.

For Background, I am just getting back into D&D after very very many years (20yrs). I just ran the entire 'Lost Mine of Phandelver' adventure for my team, and it went well. I started off slowly since we were all learning together. Our ultimate goal really was to familiarize ourselves with D&D 5E so that we could play AiME. I have both the D&D 5E DM Guide and Players handbook, as well as AiME Loremasters Guide, Players Guide and Wilderland Adventure book. Thank you!

quincypostman

Re: AiME Game Mechanics Help

Post by quincypostman » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:35 am

The journey events in wilderland adventures give some good examples build off of.

zedturtle

Post by zedturtle » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:18 pm

Hello Doorman, and welcome!

You're right that the Journey Events tables in the Player's Guide are generic... designed so that they can apply to a wide variety of situations and circumstances. It's up to each Loremaster to flesh it out... taking the previous events of the game, the capabilities of the Company, the environment of the Journey and even idle table chatter into consideration. For example, if a player has a character announce that 'giant spiders creep her out' and we're in (or near) Mirkwood then I know what will be an especially effective monster to have show up. Or maybe the Journey Event doesn't involve the monster directly, but the consequences of that monster.

As quincypostman mentions, there are tables at the end of Wilderland Adventures that provide example events for each entry on the Journey Event table for each adventure. They can be a good jumping off point, or something to keep in your back pocket. It's also worth mentioning that the Journey Events table is designed to provide input to the Loremaster, but not override your decisions. In other words, if you want to swap in a scene (either written up in the adventure or of your own devising) then go for it!

When it comes to monsters, the core rules of 5e provide some guidance. Each monster has a Challenge rating, which translates to "four well-rested and well-equipped heroes of this level should be able to defeat this monster without serious danger". Of course, these ratings are only a rough approximation... they have to account for groups that contain Master Scholars and Counsellors and other groups that have Foe-hammers and Weaponmasters.

The Journey Event tables in Wilderland Adventures provide some sample challenges for the appopriate entries, and The Road Goes Ever On has some additional groups that can be scaled by adding abilities... each monster can gain good abilities to make it a bit tougher if you have martially orientated heroes or a few detrimental abilities if your heroes are more diplomatic. Those abilities are in the Loremaster's Guide.
Jacob Rodgers, occasional nitwit.

This space intentionally blank.

Wanton

Post by Wanton » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:50 pm

If you have long journeys (and with multiple events) rather than rolling you can use the Player's book as a guide and just make up the encounters (selecting the event that best fits with your world and group).... another advantage in just picking the event is you can make sure that each of the positions (guide, scout, look-out, & hunter) can participate in the journey phase. There will also be many optional events in the wilderness guide that will go unused because you don't have enough encounters to use each number, so could just use "missed" events anyway you wish.... just a thought. :ugeek:

Robin Smallburrow

Post by Robin Smallburrow » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:43 am

My recommendation is to 'cherry-pick' events from the excellent ones provided in the published works such as Eaves of Mirkwood or Wilderland Adventures, and especially to tailor the event to 'fit' the current adventurer. If you look at the Journey Tables at the back of Wilderland Adventures, you will see that the events are all tailored towards the current Adventure theme - for example, I am currently running "Kinstrife and Dark Tidings", so I basically threw the 'caravan destroyed by bandits' event at the players.

Robin S.
To access all my links for my TOR Resources - please click on this link >> http://bit.ly/1gjXkCo

Doorman

Post by Doorman » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:20 am

Thank you so much all of you! Sadly, I completely missed the events table at the end of the book. After looking it over, it all makes total sense now. This is going to be lots of fun!

Thank you!