Thematic disconnect for starting PCs?

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
Byrne

Thematic disconnect for starting PCs?

Post by Byrne » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:14 pm

Hi,

have all the books, just trying to figure out my starting adventure and campaign.

Maybe I am missing smething, the Player's Guide and LM's guide triumphantly proclaim that King Bard wants all "valorous volunteers" to come to Lake Town to help rebuild the area. Great!

But then, as you read on, all early level adventurers in Eaves, Mirkwood Campaign, and Wilderland almost entirely take place in the Vales and Western Mirkwood! The one starting adventure near Esgaroth is essentially a chance encounter that boots you out the other side of Mirkwood.

Why would the starting adventures not link directly to Dale or Esgaroth, as this is played up so triumphantly in the 'Guides? You never actually receive an official tasking, have a chance encounter then spend the next many years on the other side of Mirkwood.

Would be interested to hear how prominently Lake Town has figured in your early campaigns, if at all really.

Otaku-sempai

Re: Thematic disconnect for starting PCs?

Post by Otaku-sempai » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:01 pm

You raise some valid questions, though you seem to forget that Bard is the king of Dale, not Lake-town. Esgaroth seems to have it's own local government and I do not think that it is directly subject to King Bard.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

Varon

Post by Varon » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:41 pm

I just used the proclamation as a way of getting characters from places as distant as Rohan and the Shire within the vicinity of Esgaroth and Dale so they can head over to Wilderland and take care of those adventures. Once Wilderland Adventures progress, we'll be back over in that direction, I think.
Company of the Seven Stars: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=10326

And even so it came to pass; but it is not said that Húrin asked ever of Morgoth either mercy or death, for himself or for any of his kin. Children of Hurin

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:45 pm

Well, you can at least take the Erebor book and incorporate that into early adventures in your campaign. You can do the same using the Lake-town guide.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

zedturtle

Post by zedturtle » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:19 pm

For clarity's sake, most of the Lake-town guide was adapted into the Adventures in Middle-earth Loremaster's Guide, along with many adventure hooks for the area around Esgaroth.
Jacob Rodgers, occasional nitwit.

This space intentionally blank.

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:32 pm

zedturtle wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:19 pm
For clarity's sake, most of the Lake-town guide was adapted into the Adventures in Middle-earth Loremaster's Guide, along with many adventure hooks for the area around Esgaroth.
Thanks, I had forgotten that this is the AiMe forum, not the TOR one. It would take a little work to adapt the Erebor adventures to AiMe, but it could be done (and doubtless the book will eventually be converted for AiMe).

Wanton

Post by Wanton » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:40 am

Byrne wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:14 pm

Would be interested to hear how prominently Lake Town has figured in your early campaigns, if at all really.
Only as a "large city in the area" where stuff can be purchased. I have made a few adventures but I really like the way the Eaves of Mirkwood and the quest are in Wilderness, so I jumped right in..... so I still have a few idea for Laketown but haven't done much for now.

One thing to add is that my players had two woodman in the group, so with their home towns being Woodman Hall and Woodman-town.... it was perfect for my group. :ugeek:
Last edited by Wanton on Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quincypostman

Post by quincypostman » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:43 am

I started my campaign with eaves of mirkwood, skipping don't leave the path, and had them end up at the Easterly Inn to pick up on leaves and stewed hobbits. I placed an emissary from Dale at both the Easterly Inn and woodman town, who give out tasks to the party.

I couldn't think of why my party would be going down along the Anduin to start episode 3, but will remedy that by having one of the emissaries send them down that way to check something out.
Last edited by quincypostman on Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Byrne

Post by Byrne » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:52 am

Thanks for the replies, very helpfu! It just seems a lost oppportunity. Have been thinking of converting the D&D Phandelver adventure to occur on the Eastern side of Mirkwoood somewhere as a direct task for the King (make sure the river route is clear of bandits), then having the party head west to start the Mirkwood campaign. Sounds like the TOR Erebor book is a place to look as well.

Byrne

Post by Byrne » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:59 am

I do like the idea of the emmissaries as well, a great way to start on the western side, then make your way to Lake Town later on. Will ponder that...