AiME Journey Calculator

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
padraigmac

AiME Journey Calculator

Post by padraigmac » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:10 am

Hey all,

I've made a little Google Sheets calculator for doing some of the math(s) for journeys. It's here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

A few notes:
  • It's set to view only. You'll need a google account and then you can make a copy for yourself that you can edit/use
  • The boxes coloured light pinkish use a random number. Sheets updates random numbers whenever you change anything so if you want to lock them down just note them down somewhere
  • If you see any math that's horribly wrong, please let me know so I can update it
Hopefully you guys will find this useful!

padraigmac

Re: AiME Journey Calculator

Post by padraigmac » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:56 pm

Thanks to RichH and ThrorII for the jumping off point, BTW.

ThrorII

Post by ThrorII » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:46 pm

Very nice!!!

Any chance that you could pre-program the Embarkation roll/results? So if you put the roll in (1 or less; 2-7; 8+) it will print out the results and effect? Same for the Journey roll/results?

Just a thought.

padraigmac

Post by padraigmac » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:36 am

Good thought. When I have some time, I'll make it happen!

Quillogist

Post by Quillogist » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:19 am

padraigmac -- this is very good. Thanks.

I had problems opening it in Excel (a few formula errors crept in during the conversion from your file type), so I started tinkering with it to make it Excel-friendly.

I was able to follow your thought process and formula links pretty well, but I don't have your same knowledge of the Journey rules, so I sorta had to build in more info to help me follow the Journey building rules. I did shift things so the user does not have to leave the Journey sheet, and that way the math sheet is just behind the scenes data to do calculations.

Thanks again for building the sheet.

Here's my Excel version: https://1drv.ms/x/s!Ak88KIALsgrVh8VeqoOXXbKuGr3_IQ (link is good until 3/18/18)

I also saved is as an ODS format, hoping that will make it easier for non-excel users (I wasn't able to test it to see if it opens without problems, though): https://1drv.ms/x/s!Ak88KIALsgrVh8VgbDGhlRu3wNqTPA (link is good until 3/18/18)

-- Quillogist

padraigmac

Post by padraigmac » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:24 pm

Quillogist wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:19 am
padraigmac -- this is very good. Thanks.

I had problems opening it in Excel (a few formula errors crept in during the conversion from your file type), so I started tinkering with it to make it Excel-friendly.

I was able to follow your thought process and formula links pretty well, but I don't have your same knowledge of the Journey rules, so I sorta had to build in more info to help me follow the Journey building rules. I did shift things so the user does not have to leave the Journey sheet, and that way the math sheet is just behind the scenes data to do calculations.

Thanks again for building the sheet.

Here's my Excel version: https://1drv.ms/x/s!Ak88KIALsgrVh8VeqoOXXbKuGr3_IQ (link is good until 3/18/18)

I also saved is as an ODS format, hoping that will make it easier for non-excel users (I wasn't able to test it to see if it opens without problems, though): https://1drv.ms/x/s!Ak88KIALsgrVh8VgbDGhlRu3wNqTPA (link is good until 3/18/18)

-- Quillogist
Awesome! I haven't had a look yet, but I will when I am at work and have access to Excel.
I did notice a few errors and I've been fixing them as I find them. My intention was also that no one had to look at the math sheet. Where did I screw that up?

Love this kind of collaborative thing!

P

Quillogist

Post by Quillogist » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:09 am

padraigmac,

I don't think your sheet necessarily had any errors, I think they crept in when I converted to Excel and there were slightly different formulas used between the two spreadsheet formats, which created some broken formula links. Once that happened, I had to backwards engineer where the formulas were coming from and what they were doing, and how the rules worked that you had put into the spreadsheet. The good thing about that is I had to actually learn the Journey rules... :D

That being said, once I got started, I cooked some extra stuff in and reorganized the flow a bit to make it work better for me.

If you get a chance to look at it, I'd appreciate your opinions and any corrections to my calculations.

-- Quillogist

Robin Smallburrow

Post by Robin Smallburrow » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:22 pm

As a google ignoramus, how do I make a copy that I can actually edit?? (I do have a Google account)

I clicked the link but it only gave me View Access even though I was in my Google Account!

Robin S.
To access all my links for my TOR Resources - please click on this link >> http://bit.ly/1gjXkCo

Quillogist

Post by Quillogist » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:37 am

Robin,

You have to download it when its in Google Drive, and you have to save it as an .xlsx file when it is a One Drive link.

When I open it, I get an Excel on-line version. At that point, you need to click on the "..." option all the way to the right of the worksheet (below your bookmarks bar, actually in the worksheet area), and then tell it to download a copy of the file.

From there, you can open it in Excel or the Google equivalent.

let me know if you get have problems and I'll switch over to Dropbox, which seems to cooperate more with different browsers, etc.

-- Quill

padraigmac

Post by padraigmac » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:37 pm

Once in the view access version you should be able to save a copy. And then you can edit that copy and do your thing without overwriting my original!
Robin Smallburrow wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:22 pm
As a google ignoramus, how do I make a copy that I can actually edit?? (I do have a Google account)

I clicked the link but it only gave me View Access even though I was in my Google Account!

Robin S.