When to find Magic Items.

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
BookBarbarian

When to find Magic Items.

Post by BookBarbarian » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:17 pm

Just like the subject says, around what level do you think it's appropriate to stumble upon Sting, Glamdring, Orcrist etc? (Not really those weapons, just using them as an analogy.)

I could see Bilbo being around level 2 when he got Sting, and honestly I don't think that's too early to find some pretty neat stuff.

What do you think?

quincypostman

Re: When to find Magic Items.

Post by quincypostman » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:04 pm

BookBarbarian wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:17 pm
Just like the subject says, around what level do you think it's appropriate to stumble upon Sting, Glamdring, Orcrist etc? (Not really those weapons, just using them as an analogy.)

I could see Bilbo being around level 2 when he got Sting, and honestly I don't think that's too early to find some pretty neat stuff.

What do you think?
I don't think L2 is too early, provided you're not giving out items like candy. Plus, it helps that a seemingly 'minor' magic item can grow with the character.

BookBarbarian

Post by BookBarbarian » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:08 pm

quincypostman wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:04 pm
Plus, it helps that a seemingly 'minor' magic item can grow with the character.
That's probably my favorite part about them. You can get one early but still have it get new and exciting goodies later on.

ThrorII

Post by ThrorII » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:10 am

Exactly!! Level 2 is fine (Loremaster choice).

Especially since a weapon like Sting (elven made, First Age weapon), probably had 3 magical enchantments (Luminescence, Superior Keen, Superior Grievous, I'd say). So, a character like Bilbo would get 'Luminescence' immediately, then would get Superior Keen at 5th level, and wouldn't get the final enchantment until 13th level.

Since weapons grow with you, they start out weaker, and become very powerful. It is an elegant mechanic to keep weapons and armor viable the character's entire career.

BookBarbarian

Post by BookBarbarian » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:50 pm

ThrorII wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:10 am
Exactly!! Level 2 is fine (Loremaster choice).

Especially since a weapon like Sting (elven made, First Age weapon), probably had 3 magical enchantments (Luminescence, Superior Keen, Superior Grievous, I'd say). So, a character like Bilbo would get 'Luminescence' immediately, then would get Superior Keen at 5th level, and wouldn't get the final enchantment until 13th level.

Since weapons grow with you, they start out weaker, and become very powerful. It is an elegant mechanic to keep weapons and armor viable the character's entire career.
I like it. I even think it can fit the fiction Bilbo finds out it glows blue immediately, but that it's extra effective against Spiders and Webs later, presumably at a higher level.

Thanks for the help!

ThrorII

Post by ThrorII » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:27 pm

Well, as an Elven weapon, it usually has 1 bane, but can have 2. As a 1st Age weapon, lets say it has 2.

Sting has Banes against Orcs and Spiders. In the stories, Lumenescense works for Orcs only, but Spider Bane would allow it to cut though webs and use the Superior Grievous/Superior Keen against Spiders and Orcs.