Question about events during journeys

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
mats77

Question about events during journeys

Post by mats77 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:54 pm

Hi,

Some questions about journeys:

The LM rolls up a couple of events based on some parameters, and I get it that the LM then plays out those events in a way so that it fits the adventure as a whole. What I don't get entirely, is if there is any other "normal" role-playing going on at all in the journeys? It says in the Player's Guide on page 168 that the player-heroes have to overcome challenges. Those challenges, are those the ones in the random events only? So nothing else happens during a journey?

What confuses me is when I read in Wilderland Adventures (the first adventure; I haven't read the other ones). (Don't worry, I will not spoil any details here!) It describes how to set off a journey, with details such as a peril rating, a formula for number of challenges/events, the DC for those events etc. After that, it describes an entire storyline of events that will occur in the adventure (and even during the journey itself, it seems). This confuses me a bit.

So there are those randomly rolled events, but there are also a lot more events in terms of a storyline? Are you (as a LM) supposed to squeeze in those randomly rolled events into the storyline whenever it makes sense?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Mats

ThrorII

Re: Question about events during journeys

Post by ThrorII » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:24 pm

Yes and No.

The journey formula will give you 0-7 events, depending on the length of the journey, the terrain type, and die roll. The LM can place those events as he sees fit, or play them out in order (I advocate placing them where they're most thematic).

In addition, the LM may have set 'encounters' (in the D&D sense) along the journey. These will most likely tie in to what ever the adventure is he/she is running.

So, in practice: The LM decides to run an adventure. He knows the adventure will require a journey. He plans out 2 set-piece encounters that are part of the adventure. Then, when the party actually plans out and takes their journey, the journey rolls are made to see how many 'incidental' inconveniences occur.

Anyway, that's how I see it.

zedturtle

Post by zedturtle » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:42 pm

Here’s a post from Jon where he dives into details, using Eaves of Mirkwood and Don't Leave The Path as examples.
Jacob Rodgers, occasional nitwit.

This space intentionally blank.

mats77

Post by mats77 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:46 pm

Thanks a lot ThrorII for that very clear explanation!

What you say, is the way I was hoping it to be.

:)

mats77

Post by mats77 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:12 pm

zedturtle wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:42 pm
Here’s a post from Jon where he dives into details, using Eaves of Mirkwood and Don't Leave The Path as examples.
Very good post! Thanks for pointing me there. It actually answered my question, but I didn't see that post until now...

:)

BookBarbarian

Post by BookBarbarian » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:18 pm

Journey's are one of the best things about AiME, but I'll admit it is still hard to wrap my head around all they entail.

Threads like this one will pop up form time to time I'm sure. And that Thread Zed posted is indeed very helpful too me too.

mats77

Post by mats77 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:22 am

BookBarbarian wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:18 pm
Journey's are one of the best things about AiME, but I'll admit it is still hard to wrap my head around all they entail.
I totally agree. The journeys seem to be a really neat mechanic. It has a really good feel to it. Can't wait to run an adventure and try it out!

Rich H

Post by Rich H » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:23 am

That post by Jon is a really good read!

I personally think the Journey mechanics in AiMe are better than the ones in TOR. I've actually created a hybrid of them (and hazards from TOR) for my own TOR campaign. I really like the results and although there are a lot of mechanics I feel that is a feature as it elevates journeys and travelling to an important and mechanically interesting element of my game whereas the RAW TOR rules can feel a bit repetitive and the designer himself has re-looked at them on at least a couple of occasions to improve.
TOR resources thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=62
TOR miniatures thread: viewtopic.php?t=885

Fellowship of the Free Tale of Years: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8318