Repairing an item

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
Jguggino

Repairing an item

Post by Jguggino » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:30 pm

Hello Everyone,

Are there guidelines for repairing items? I see craft skills like Smith-craft and metalworking just dont know how to apply them.

BookBarbarian

Re: Repairing an item

Post by BookBarbarian » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:39 pm

I don't know if their are official guidelines for repairing items in either 5e or AiME.

For my take, if someone has the Tool proficiency or relevant Specialty from a background, the tools, and enough time to work on the task, I think they should be able to repair most mundane weapons, and armor etc.

Wondrous Items might be trickier, maybe even impossible without a help from legendary dwarf and elf craftsmen.

Also, trying to fix things in the field with a time constraint would definitely call for a check in my game.

quincypostman

Post by quincypostman » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:31 am

I would guess that that would be a fellowship phase undertaking

monje29

Post by monje29 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:56 pm

Crafting a non magical item(Downtime activity on D&D 5 ) can be used as guidance.
Information between brackets is just a subjective proposition.

Crafting
You can craft nonmagical objects, including adventuring equipment and works of art. You must be proficient with tools related to the object you are trying to create/"repair" (typically artisan's tools). You might also need access to special materials or locations necessary to create it. For example, someone proficient with smith's tools needs a forge in order to craft a sword or suit of armor.

For every day of downtime you spend crafting, you can craft one or more items with a total market value not exceeding 5 gp, and you must expend raw materials worth half the total market value(5% for Repairing) . If something you want to craft has a market value greater than 5 gp, you make progress every day in 5-gp increments/(50-gp for Repairing) until you reach the market value of the item. For example, a suit of plate armor (market value 1,500 gp) takes 300 days to craft by yourself.

Multiple characters can combine their efforts toward the crafting of a single item, provided that the characters all have proficiency with the requisite tools and are working together in the same place. Each character contributes 5 gp worth of effort for every day spent helping to craft the item. For example, three characters with the requisite tool proficiency and the proper facilities can craft a suit of plate armor in 100 days, at a total cost of 750 gp.