advice on exhaustion and rest on adventures

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
Otaku-sempai

Re: advice on exhaustion and rest on adventures

Post by Otaku-sempai » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:03 am

If there is nothing in AiMe that contradicts what is stated in the 5e OGL documents regarding long and short rests then I would think that those documents would be considered to be the default position. Not that I have any issue with LMs instead using the 'gritty realism' option. Whatever works best for you and your game.

How is this being handled in demo games?
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

MrUkpyr

Post by MrUkpyr » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:09 pm

Enevhar Aldarion wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:26 am
Try not to compare short and long rests from 5E D&D to AiME, as the standard version is not what is used. The default length in 5E is 1 hour for a short rest and 8 hours for a long rest. But AiME looks to the variant rest rule in the DMG for length. In the DMG, there is a "gritty realism" variant that makes a short rest 8 hours and a long rest one week. It is page 267 for anyone with the book. There is also a "slow healing" variant rule on that page that I think C7 used when writing the rules for AiME.
THANK YOU for the specific reference from the DMG. Now I can sit and read and figure out how *my ME* will vary (grin).
MrUkpyr
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

BookBarbarian

Post by BookBarbarian » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:16 pm

A long rest !== A night's sleep. Even in regular 5e.

So on a Journey characters may not have a Long Rest, but as long as they get some sleep will not incur exhaustion form lack of sleep.
Otaku-sempai wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:53 pm
I know that this has been much debated in the past. Where is this explicitly stated for AiMe?
Page 50-52 of the LMG has lovely advice on how a LM might run long rests in their game.

I like and use their advice that for the party to take Long Rest the location should have three things:

Safety from threat of attack
Comfort
Tranquility

So my party might not be able to Long Rest in Moria, but certainly could in Lorien or in the Prancing Pony (a fear of a Ringwraith attack which might negate the first point), but also outdoors in the Shire, or in Henneth Annûn with a company of Ithilien Rangers.

In fact there are a lot of places where I would let the party take a long rest, where they normally wouldn't if there is a sufficient force of NPCs or very powerful NPCs like Gandalf or Glorfindel with the company.

Remember the 5E mantra "Rulings over Rules".

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:40 pm

BookBarbarian wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:16 pm
Otaku-sempai wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:53 pm
I know that this has been much debated in the past. Where is this explicitly stated for AiMe?
Page 50-52 of the LMG has lovely advice on how a LM might run long rests in their game.
Naturally! Since I only have the Player's Guide. Thanks for the clarification. So the suggestion there is for the standard rules of 1 hour for a short rest and 8 hours for a long rest?
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

BookBarbarian

Post by BookBarbarian » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:55 pm

Otaku-sempai wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:40 pm
Naturally! Since I only have the Player's Guide. Thanks for the clarification. So the suggestion there is for the standard rules of 1 hour for a short rest and 8 hours for a long rest?
There is no suggestion for changing rest durations from the 5e default.

Oh I forgot to add, page 57 lays out how on Journeys player-heroes can only take short rests.

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:10 pm

BookBarbarian wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:55 pm
There is no suggestion for changing rest durations from the 5e default.
Well, that flies in the faces of the advocates for the 'gritty realism' option as the intended interpretation. That still seems fine, though, if the option works for a particular campaign.
Oh I forgot to add, page 57 lays out how on Journeys player-heroes can only take short rests.
Yes, I've seen that stated in the forums in other discussions. Thanks again!

BookBarbarian

Post by BookBarbarian » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:41 pm

Otaku-sempai wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:10 pm
Well, that flies in the faces of the advocates for the 'gritty realism' option as the intended interpretation. That still seems fine, though, if the option works for a particular campaign.
Before AiME came out I was thinking of moving my 5e campaign to using the Gritty Realism rest variant.

I think it does a better job of setting the pace to what I wanted than the default. Something more similar to a "normal" guy campaign more like what I would read in Conan, The First Trilogy, or even The Lord of the Rings trilogy rather than a "it's been one night, you're completely all better" style of Dragonball Z/Superhero campaign.

I planned on using that rest Variant for my AiME game until the LMG came out.

Now, I find how it suggests handling rests to be a good split between what's default in a 5e game and what's believable in Middle earth.

BookBarbarian

Post by BookBarbarian » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:25 pm

This whole discussion has reminded me of this section of DM of the Rings:

"That is a very specific level of tired" always makes me laugh.

monje29

Post by monje29 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:33 am

RESTS on d&d 5e OGL

Short Rest: Period of downtime ,at least 1 hour long, during which a character does nothing more strenuous than eating,drinking,reading, and tending to wounds. A character can spend 1 or more HD at the end of a short rest.
No consciousness needed so a character can spend HD even at 0 Hp.

Long Rest: Period of extended downtime, at least 8 hours long, during which a character sleeps(6h min) or perform light activity: reading, eating,talking,standing watch, for no more than 2 hours. At the end of a long rests character regain all lost HP. The character also regains spent HD,up to half of the character's total of them(Min.1). The character must have at least 1 hp at the start of the rest to gain its benefits.
Finishing a long rest reduces also a creature's exhaustion level by 1,provided that the creature has also ingested some food and drink.

Going without a Long rest(Xanathar,s guide to everything): Whenever you end a 24 h. period without finishing a long rest, you must succeed on a Dc 10 Con. saving throw or suffer 1 level of exhaustion. After the first 24 h., the Dc increases by 5 for each consecutive 24 h period without a long rest. The Dc resets to 10 when you finish a long rest.

RESTS on AIME (Textual:Rests in AIME work as they do in the core rules with one exception: during journeys the characters may not take a long rest.

a)Journey phase: During Journeys no long rest available( My interpretation of "no long rest" on journeys = No HD/HP gain and no exhaustion recovery but ALSO no exhaustion gained as a consequence of "Going without long rest". As I see it, characters during journeys may "Long rest"(even 8h long) but not enough to gain the full benefits of "Natural Healing" ( "Journeys are dangerous, challenging and tiring. Also the importance of Sanctuaries heightens")
Perhaps something like: "Rests in AIME work as in the Core rules with 1 exception:during journeys, when Player-Heroes may rest(Long or short) BUT they won't gain the full benefits of a Long Rest" would have led to a better understanding of this deeper interpretation of the resting rules.

b)Adventuring phase
Short Rest:As in Core rules.
Long Rest: As in Core Rules + LM Requisites based on "generosity":
a)Less generous Lm:Only a night in a bed in a safe place.
b)More Generous Lm: Safety,comfort and tranquility (AIME Pg.51).

c)Fellowship Phase: Full Long Rest allowed

Hope it helps
Pdta: Don,t be too critic about grammar and syntax. I'm not a native English speaker as you can easily find out. ;)
Last edited by monje29 on Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MrUkpyr

Post by MrUkpyr » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:17 pm

monje29 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:33 am
MASSIVE SNIPPAGE!!
Hope it helps
It helped immensely!
Especially the bit from Xanthanar's Guide - which is what I kept remembering from the old rules but could not find in the PH, DMG, PG, LM.

Thanks muchly.
MrUkpyr
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."