Two Eaves Queries

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
steerpike65

Two Eaves Queries

Post by steerpike65 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:04 pm

Hi
*Eaves of Mirkwood minor spoilers*

I'm hoping to run Eaves for my late-teen/early twenties kids and their friends this weekend and I've two questions after having done some prep:

1. I don't see Rowanhold marked on the Loremaster's Map. Is that deliberate to allow for player choice in the journey direction? Roughly where would it lie in relation to Woodland Hall for example if the players follow the route advised by Heva?
2. A weird question next - I seem to have a memory of seeing a great painting in the style of Mr Hodgson showing the main villain bursting into Rowanhold's hall. It's possible this was either the image I conjured in my imagination as I read the text or even a dream I had after reading it but just wondering if this image actually exists? #weirddreams

Cheers.
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” – Mark Twain

BookBarbarian

Re: Two Eaves Queries

Post by BookBarbarian » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:02 pm

For 1) I'm not sure it matters if Rowanhold is on the map as it's not the destination of the Journey, the party ends up their by accident on the way to their destination.

2) that is an evocative image, but I can't remember seeing it.

steerpike65

Post by steerpike65 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:39 am

BookBarbarian wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:02 pm
For 1) I'm not sure it matters if Rowanhold is on the map as it's not the destination of the Journey, the party ends up there by accident on the way to their destination.
Oh, for sure, it matters not a jot in relation to actually running the adventure.

The below is way over-thinking things, I know, but I had fun anyway:

The East Anduin Vales are Easy, the Western Eaves are Hard, whereas Western Mirkwood is Severe in terms of Terrain Difficulty.

If the PCs follow Heva's directions, they head "westward out of the Eaves of the Forest, and then northward to the Forest Gate". So, I take it from that, that the PCs leave the Western Eaves and travel just into the East Anduin Vales (supported by descriptions of fields, stands of trees (rather than woodland) and heather-covered hillsides) before travelling northward.

The Peril Rating of the journey is assigned at 2 and since whichever type of terrain forms the majority of the area passed through by the proposed route determines the default Peril Rating, yet there is no Moderate (PR 2) terrain here, the PCs must be effectively travelling literally on the edge of (or weaving in and out of) the two regions (later a third) and thus an average PR of 2 is assigned accordingly (interesting in itself to me - probably simply for ease considering the introductory nature of the adventure but something I might look at rather than necessarily using 'the majority of hexes passed through' approach).

The party then travels "for a few days" (I will assume 3). At a normal travel rate of 24 miles per day (assuming the terrain is not difficult) this should take the party to the hex three to the northwest of Woodland Hall on the edge of the Vales and Mirkwood. Thus they are now on the edge of the Severe terrain of Western Mirkwood, and in a hex which hints at containing a majority of trees rather than grassland, which fits with the next encounter. The holding seems to be relatively close by to this area in a situation which is in the forest but with fields, implying an area not far into the woodland. Thus, I assume that it is still within that same hex (three NW of Woodland Hall). The poverty and ill favour of the holding fits with its location on the borders of Western Mirkwood, rather than the Western Eaves, in my opinion.

/pedantic and pointless research :D
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” – Mark Twain

Jon Hodgson

Post by Jon Hodgson » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:54 am

steerpike65 wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:04 pm
Hi
*Eaves of Mirkwood minor spoilers*

I'm hoping to run Eaves for my late-teen/early twenties kids and their friends this weekend and I've two questions after having done some prep:

1. I don't see Rowanhold marked on the Loremaster's Map. Is that deliberate to allow for player choice in the journey direction? Roughly where would it lie in relation to Woodland Hall for example if the players follow the route advised by Heva?
Rowanhold doesn't appear on the map so that you can place it where you need it to be.
2. A weird question next - I seem to have a memory of seeing a great painting in the style of Mr Hodgson showing the main villain bursting into Rowanhold's hall. It's possible this was either the image I conjured in my imagination as I read the text or even a dream I had after reading it but just wondering if this image actually exists? #weirddreams

Cheers.
It was a dream we put into your head. Sounds like a nice image though!
Jon Hodgson
Creative Director, Cubicle 7
Like us on Facebook!

steerpike65

Post by steerpike65 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:17 am

Jon Hodgson wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:54 am
Rowanhold doesn't appear on the map so that you can place it where you need it to be.
It was a dream we put into your head. Sounds like a nice image though!
Of course, that makes perfect sense ref Rowanhold. So long as the PCs head in the right direction according to Heva, I feel it will be in the hex I mentioned in my post above though in my game!

Ref the dream - it was an awfully good painting in that dream :lol: thank you very much.

Majestic

Post by Majestic » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:50 pm

Amazing as Jon's paintings ordinarily are, they're even better in our dreams! :lol:
Adventure Summaries for my long-running group (currently playing through The Darkening of Mirkwood/Mirkwood Campaign), and the Tale of Years for a second, lower-level group (in the same campaign).