Wanderer abilities and embarkation

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
iuzbob

Wanderer abilities and embarkation

Post by iuzbob » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:18 am

in my current campaign my characters are all level 4. We work with milestones to level up. The player of the Wanderer had on character creation very good stats roll and at level 4 he chose to bring the ability score of Wisdom to a whopping 18. That is a +4 modifier and on the survival skill it is a 6 with the normal proficiency bonus of 2.

On embarkation the wanderer adds a a whopping 8 to the embarkation roll. When he is familiar in the region the company travels through, he additionally lowers the peril Rating.

With a range of 12 possible outcomes at the embarkation roll, this wanderer nearly never gets lower than an 8. In my eyes a lot of flavor gets lost when the company always gets the good results.

I like to know if you had similar experiences? Did it lower the immersion to habe good outcomes? What are your ideas on that topic? Thanks in advance for your input.

Scarytincan

Re: Wanderer abilities and embarkation

Post by Scarytincan » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:38 pm

Actually that is only plus 4, then minus the peril rating (which is reduced only if the ENTIRE journey goes through the wanderers known lands).

I misunderstood how this worked when I started running my game as well but it is half the wisdom bonus plus the guides survival PROFICIENCY bonus. So either they have prof in the skill in which case it is equal to their prof bonus (+2 at level 4) plus half the wisdom bonus, or they aren't prof in the skill in which case it is only the half of the wisdom added (+2 to the roll total minus peril)

Sama64

Post by Sama64 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:32 am

I agree with the fact that the wanderer's ability nearly negates the perils of embarkation.

Plus the fact that wanderers know at least one place to stay for long rest in each known land.

For me it is a bit overpowered for journeying phase

iuzbob

Post by iuzbob » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:58 am

Thank you all for your insights. I will discuss it with the players.

BookBarbarian

Post by BookBarbarian » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:57 pm

Journey's are a wander's place to shine. In combat they just don't have as much to bring to the table as a Slayer or Warrior, They still have good stuff mind you, just not as much.

I would be wary of reducing their effectiveness in what is their special chance to shine.