Play Aid Idea

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
andypalmer

Play Aid Idea

Post by andypalmer » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:24 am

I'm playing in a 4-player game where only the LM and myself have played RPGs before. While I've been playing D&D since the Red Box, my eyes aren't what they used to be and my brain is filled with so many versions of things that it's even tough for me to remember (and/or read on my character sheet) what abilities I have. I skipped 4e, but feel that 5e has more skills/abilities to keep track of than previous versions.

To help our new players, and myself, I created some reference cards. Those that are one use (until Short or Long rest for example) can also be used in such a way to indicate, and keep track of, their use.

Here are some examples. I've included the official text as well as a short-hand version for easy reference.
Hit Die - Short Rest
Simple card to show ability to spend a HD to regain HP

Whisper through the Leaves
An easy reference for the Mirkwood Elves wood stealth

Battle Fury
Here's another usable card, that includes details but can also work to indicate the ability has been used

I of course haven't done every ability and some (like Dwarven Toughness) perhaps don't need cards as they are only referenced during leveling.

If Cubicle7 published cards with this type of information, I would buy them (and/or invest in Kickstarter), but I was curious if others would find these kinds of play aids useful, or had any other feedback.

- Andy

quincypostman

Re: Play Aid Idea

Post by quincypostman » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:41 am

As a LM, I need a card that says "you are running an npc... don't forget to attack with him"

Majestic

Post by Majestic » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:49 am

I think the concept sounds cool, but I wonder how much use they would actually see.

On the one hand, all of my 5e spell cards see a lot of use (I personally really enjoy having all the text handy and easy to see at the table, without having to flip through pages in a book).

But last year I bought a set of 'Condition Cards' at a con last year (the give you the text for characters who are frightened, incapacitated, etc., and they never end up getting used.

As far as 5e goes, it Is WAY simpler than 3.5. I enjoy both games, but very much prefer the simplification and ease of things they have pared down for 5e.
Adventure Summaries of our campaign, currently playing through The Darkening of Mirkwood

andypalmer

Post by andypalmer » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:49 am

We used them in our last session and they got a lot of use.

The cards for permanent abilities were a handy reference - easier to find info than the character sheet. Yes, with time, they won't be needed, but for a new group, very handy. I can see them eventually going the way of the Condition cards mentioned above - once you know the rule, you don't need the reference.

The one-use cards were a great help. Being able to drop a card and say, "I'm using my Action Surge" or "I'm using Healing Hands" and everyone (mostly for player and the LM) knows it's used until the next appropriate rest came in very handy. Rest happens, pick up cards, but until then, it's a very handy way to keep track of usage.

Kenomica

Post by Kenomica » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:14 am

As a new LM (with new players, too) I think me and my group would love something like this.

quincypostman

Post by quincypostman » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:08 pm

I'm thinking of coming up with some enemy cards, for when I'm facing 3 types of orcs/goblins in a single encounter, so j don't have go flip back and forth through the LMG.