Audiences without the Cultural Attitudes

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
MrUkpyr

Re: Audiences without the Cultural Attitudes

Post by MrUkpyr » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:35 pm

padraigmac wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:32 pm
MUCH SNIPPAGE
No, in my opinion (and my game), I don't want culture to be a factor in that initial mechanic.
And that is your option.
Always remember - YMEMV

Much Luck with your campaign!
MrUkpyr
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

padraigmac

Post by padraigmac » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:54 pm

MrUkpyr wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:35 pm
Always remember - YMEMV
Ha! I like it!

So far, there's been some really good stuff in this thread idea-wise that will help my Middle-Earth be varied!

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:56 pm

This topic reminded me of an upcoming movie, an alternative world story set in a fantasy version of our own present day. I'm not sure whether or not this contributes to this discussion, but Bright provides a modern take on Orc/Human relations. It is effectively a D20 Modern or Shadowrun-type story with Will Smith as a modern cop partnered with an Orc-policeman. The trailer can be viewed here. I'm wondering if this is one of the stories where (as on Terry Pratchett's Discworld) the Elves might be a more dangerous threat than Orcs could ever be.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

Terisonen

Post by Terisonen » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:41 pm

It sound really as the 'Alien Nation' movie.
Nothing of Worth.

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:34 pm

Terisonen wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:41 pm
There definitely seem to be some parellels. :lol:
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

Wanton

Post by Wanton » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:21 pm

Otaku-sempai wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:34 pm
Terisonen wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:41 pm
There definitely seem to be some parellels. :lol:
I was thinking "Alien Nation" meets "Shawdowrun" :ugeek:

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:38 pm

Wanton wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:21 pm
I was thinking "Alien Nation" meets "Shawdowrun" :ugeek:
Or Alien Nation meets D20 Modern. I will admit that viewers seem to be responding to Bright much better than have the critics. I've watched it now and while I won't call it a classic, it has an interesting perspective and is worth at least one viewing. Orc lives matter! :twisted:

zedturtle

Post by zedturtle » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:20 pm

Otaku-sempai wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:38 pm
Orc lives matter! :twisted:
No. You’re not the first user to make this analogy, and I understand that the movie itself is using the analogy.

But on a board where we can have intense and interesting discussions about Tolkien’s thought about Orcs and whether or not they are irredeemable, we are not going to compare friends and family to Orcs.
Jacob Rodgers, occasional nitwit.

This space intentionally blank.

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:15 pm

zedturtle wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:20 pm
No. You’re not the first user to make this analogy, and I understand that the movie itself is using the analogy.

But on a board where we can have intense and interesting discussions about Tolkien’s thought about Orcs and whether or not they are irredeemable, we are not going to compare friends and family to Orcs.
Actually, the movie makes an awkward, tin-eared joke of the slogan by applying it to fairies that are shown as backyard pests and vermin. That said, the Orcs of Bright are not of the effectively irredeemable variety that we see in Middle-earth. And note that I myself was not being entirely serious in my previous post. No disrespect towards any living persons or ethnicities was intended.