Advice for a magic item/wondrous artifact

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
quincypostman

Advice for a magic item/wondrous artifact

Post by quincypostman » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:08 am

Just ran eaves of mirkwood and one of the characters wanted to make a cloak from the skin of greymuzzle hob. I decided to have this be a magical item, and initially it was going to have the gift of survival on it. I don't really want this to be an item that will help with all the things the survival skill does, rather, I really only want it to provide warmth no matter hor cold it gets.

Is this really just a warm fur-lined cloak, and no magical effect is needed. Or, does anyone have some creative ideas about what I can do with the cloak... magical item-wise. (Don't want intimidation)

Thanks,
QP

Goodlookgamer

Re: Advice for a magic item/wondrous artifact

Post by Goodlookgamer » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:18 am

Just a thought...

How about a cloak of constant temperature? Would work to keep you cool in hot areas and warm in cold areas.

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:50 pm

I'm a bit hampered by only possessing the Player's Guide for AiMe, but perhaps the abilities for Greymuzzle Hob might provide a clue. Does his hide give him any special advantages specific to it? For instance: if he gained a bonus on Stealth due to concealment provided by his colouring then maybe his hide turned into a cloak might provide the same. Does that help you at all?
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

Majestic

Post by Majestic » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:06 pm

Even if you decide to go with Survival (or Stealth, or Perception, or whatever), by making it give Advantage (roll two dice, take the best result), it gives a mechanical benefit that is nice, but not overpowered.
Adventure Summaries of our campaign, currently playing through The Darkening of Mirkwood

Wanton

Post by Wanton » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:31 pm

You could do something like it scares away lower level woodland creatures, like lesser wolves and prey --so it is really quite in the forest and therefore makes it easier to detect real enemies in the forest. (So impossible to be Ambushed in the forest -- with the possible exception of really quite creatures like spiders.) :ugeek:

BookBarbarian

Post by BookBarbarian » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:41 pm

Anybody else think that the skin of a creature as evil as hob should have some negatives too?

I mean this is a game where walking in the wrong place can result in shadow points. Carrying a part of a Servant of Shadow on you would definitely have some drawbacks in my game.

BookBarbarian

Post by BookBarbarian » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:43 pm

Otaku-sempai wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:50 pm
I'm a bit hampered by only possessing the Player's Guide for AiMe, but perhaps the abilities for Greymuzzle Hob might provide a clue. Does his hide give him any special advantages specific to it? For instance: if he gained a bonus on Stealth due to concealment provided by his colouring then maybe his hide turned into a cloak might provide the same. Does that help you at all?
Spoilers for Eaves of Mirkwood!

Hob has a fear effect, but a weakness to fire.

As such I could see advantage on Intimidation checks fitting.

quincypostman

Post by quincypostman » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:15 pm

BookBarbarian wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:41 pm
Anybody else think that the skin of a creature as evil as hob should have some negatives too?

I mean this is a game where walking in the wrong place can result in shadow points. Carrying a part of a Servant of Shadow on you would definitely have some drawbacks in my game.
I was thinking about this recently. I was considering giving an advantage to stealth, and a disadvantage to animal handling.... the taint of shadow is not easily removed from the skin, and it scares animals.

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:22 pm

quincypostman wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:15 pm
I was considering giving an advantage to stealth, and a disadvantage to animal handling.... the taint of shadow is not easily removed from the skin, and it scares animals.
That's an interesting trade-off! 8-)
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

ThrorII

Post by ThrorII » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:34 pm

Its a cloak. Cloaks are intended to keep you warm. I'd say a Blessing to Survival is appropriate.
The monster in question is stated to have a fear effect. So a Blessing to Intimidate is appropriate.

It is an evil creature, so having a Curse (from The One Ring Rivendell book) would be appropriate as well.
Perhaps. Samples include:

Weakening: Reduce one Ability by -2 (Charisma seems appropriate...)
Shadow Taint: Gain 1,2, or 3 points of Permanent shadow that cannot be removed while the item is owned.
Ill-Omen: The bearer's arrival is preceded by dark warnings and fell omens. Reduce Audience by one level (from Friendly to Neutral, for example).
Ill-Luck: All DC checks increase by +2.

Personally, I'd go with a Blessing to Intimidate, with the Curse of Ill-Omen. That seems thematic.