I ran my first session last night

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
quincypostman

I ran my first session last night

Post by quincypostman » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:48 am

Seeing as gaming groups are sparse in my little town, I got a small group of friends together and started my first ever game ever as a DM/LM. Of the three players I had, only two were able to make it, so I ran an npc to accompany then til we get to full strength.

I started them on Eaves of Mirkwood, and to be honest, I had trouble incorporating a lot of the starter elements (the extras around Woodman Town etc). The two players, Alda, a dwarven scholar making his way to Erebor, and Char, a (wo)man of Bree warrior who had been driven from her home due to the nefarious deeds of her uncle, we're joined by the woodman wanderer Rowan (my npc). They were going to head to Lake town to answer the summons of King Bard... well, you all know the setup.

I added a few extra elements. The characters noticed some dark-haired strangers who were hanging around the town, watching the comings and goings of people, but mostly keeping to themselves. I also added an envoy from Dale, who asked them to deliver some contracts to another envoy stationed up north (at the Easterly Inn). The dark-haired strangers witnessed the exchange and took special notice of the party.

I let the party assign roles to themselves (I allowed the npc to fill one roll who was not the guide), and they departed with a positive embarkation roll. They decided to travel out in the open, away from the forest, and their first day went without incident. That night, however, Char heard the nickering of a horse off in the distance. She woke the others and they also heard voices in the distance. Eventually the horses moved off, and this really made the party nervous. Later in the night they heard wolves howling in the distance. They decided to travel closer to the forest the next day, and find a campsite just within the eaves of the forest. That night the saw the silhouette of a man on horseback moving slowly past their position, apparently looking into the woods, but eventually galloping off. Later, more wolves were heard, but much closer. This got the party really on edge.

They decided to travel under the eaves. We had not reached the east road yet. During the day they were intercepted by a patrol of Beornings, who collected a toll from the party. They asked the Beornings if they knew of these dark-haired strangers, and we're informed that they were in fact looking for them themselves, but they had managed to evade them. The Beornings went on their way, and the party continued on. At one point they had to exit the woods to go around a ravine, and this is when they heard behind them, "well boys, look what we have here... three little rats, caught in our trap."

This is where we left off for the night. No combat, but the players had fun. I thought I did fairly well, and felt I did better on the stuff I made up. I plan on giving them their first combat against a bandit leader and a number of thugs. If things go well then great... if things go poorly, then the party will be helped by the intervention of the Beorning patrol. The patrol will offer the party's toll back, giving the party the option of taking it back, or, refuse the refund, impressing the leader of the patrol, who'll offer them a sigil that'll get them entrance to Beorn's house.

My goal was also to get the party back into the woods so they can meet up with the dwarves and finish the EoM advenrure. After they meet up with Gandalf, he'll direct them to the Easterly Inn, and I'll start up with stewed hobbits.

I'm looking forward to getting 1 or 2 more players, so I can have Rowan leave the party. I found one of the most difficult things was not metagaming with him.

I hope this didn't bore you all to death with this recap. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

QP
Last edited by quincypostman on Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wanton

Nice summary

Post by Wanton » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:57 pm

Quincy,

Sound like a great start!

Question as fellow LM, how did you handle XP with this group? How did the toll collection go? And what was the toll?

Sound like your group really like the role-playing aspect and that's great. In the Eaves, I didn't get the personality of the Dwarves down as much as I would like and I wish I'd done a little better job of that, but it sounds like an excellent start so far!

:ugeek:
Last edited by Wanton on Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mykesfree

Re: Good Start

Post by Mykesfree » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:06 pm

I agree with Wanton.Sounds like a good start, that had some of the tension that AiMe provides so well. Looking forward to see how you develop the rest of the story.

Majestic

Re: I ran my first session last night

Post by Majestic » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:55 pm

Great recap. It was quite enjoyable to read, and it sounds like you did an excellent job!

As long as you and your players are having fun, you're doing outstanding. :)
Adventure Summaries of our campaign, currently playing through The Darkening of Mirkwood

quincypostman

Re: Nice summary

Post by quincypostman » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:17 pm

Wanton wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:57 pm
Quincy,

Sound like a great start!

Question as fellow LM, how did you handle XP with this group? How did the toll collection go? And what was the toll?

Sound like your group really like the role-playing aspect and that's great. In the Eaves, I didn't get the personality of the Dwarves down as much as I would like and I wish I'd done a little better job of that, but it sounds like an excellent start so far!

:ugeek:
Thanks Wanton,
I had the Beorning patrol approach them on horseback, and they simply stated they were in Beorning lands, these patrols don't pay for themselves, and a toll had to be paid to cross. The pc's are all pretty green and didn't question much... I think they were just happy these well-armed men didn't mean them harm, and they happily paid. The toll was 5 cp per person, though they announced the dwarf would have to pay a silver penny. Again the pc didn't question it. If he had I'd have simply stated Beorn didn't like dwarves crossing his land. As for experience, I'm figuring on just giving the players enough xp for 2nd level at the conclusion of the adventure.

For the rest of the adventure, I'm not sure how closely I'll stick to the events provided. I won't force the campfire contests on them, unless it feels natural to them. If I get another player by next session, I'll have Rowan stay with the dwarves at Rowanhold.