Spoilers: speculation re a WA villain

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
Scarytincan

Spoilers: speculation re a WA villain

Post by Scarytincan » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:53 am

So in the Those Who Tarry No Longer quest, in the dungeon of Dol Guldur, a certain tall and handsome person appears to tempt the party with gifts named Annatar. Given that these events are supposed to have occurred about 500 years ago, and by my reckoning, Sauron (going by Annatar, lord of gifts in much of the second age) lost his ability to take on a fair form / disguise when Numenor fell longer ago than that...

Thoughts?

MrUkpyr

Re: Spoilers: speculation re a WA villain

Post by MrUkpyr » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:08 pm

Scarytincan wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:53 am
So in the Those Who Tarry No Longer quest, in the dungeon of Dol Guldur, a certain tall and handsome person appears to tempt the party with gifts named Annatar. Given that these events are supposed to have occurred about 500 years ago, and by my reckoning, Sauron (going by Annatar, lord of gifts in much of the second age) lost his ability to take on a fair form / disguise when Numenor fell longer ago than that...

Thoughts?
It is a dream realm created by the Gibbet King.
Perhaps he didn't know that Sauron couldn't do this after Numenor fell. Or he simply wanted to make his former boss look good.

BookBarbarian

Post by BookBarbarian » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:14 pm

Isn't this part of Those who Tarry No Longer a dream? As in it doesn't actually occur? So the Annatar tempting the party represents how Sauron tempted the Noldor.

Scarytincan

Post by Scarytincan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:46 pm

While it is a dream yes, I feel like it's not so much created and guided by GK so much as the party being thrown into memory and history by Irime trying to draw on the party for help since the party didn't have the power or skill to help her otherwise. I see no indication or reason to believe anything other than the party themselves being a deviation from the history of that event.

Personally I wonder if the necromancer had a woodsman don his name of old to fulfill a similar purpose, though that seems a bit of a sloppy slip up for a cunning maiar who is trying to pass off as a mere necromancer... But thought I'd fish for other insights /explanations as I would like to draw attention to it when the party of the game I'm leading comes to that scene...

BookBarbarian

Post by BookBarbarian » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:20 pm

I think it's Irime's psyche taking her memories of when Annatar came among the Noldor of Eregion offering great gifts that turned into great destruction and putting them forth into a current temptation for the Player Characters and NPCs.