A quick review

Hermes Serpent

A quick review

Post by Hermes Serpent » Thu May 19, 2016 2:00 pm

Got my backer copy on Monday and I've been going through it checking for errata which I've posted to Andrew. In reading it over the past few days I've found that it does an excellent job of evoking the Seventies and the paranoia of those years.

A comprehensive section on the various country players of the time with notes on major personalities is provided to help with fading memories. The sections that are part of the Keeper's Handbook should keep anyone who isn't familiar with the period well informed. The material in that section also covers the activities of most of the Cthulhu Mythos entities and races during the period of the setting as well as the mundane organisations in the espionage business or opposing them.

There are a lot of useful sidebars and boxed text giving suggestions to Keepers about how to run various aspects of espionage activities using the rules. The Keeper's section is rounded out with a short section of weapons and equipment that will be familiar to people with the C7 WW2 setting as it's very similar in style.

The final part of the book is a campaign set in Istanbul and running to 60 pages with details of all the participants, their pictures in the case of major NPC's and their activities and motivations. It reads as a very interesting and quite involved campaign and is likely to set the bar for other scenarios in the setting. The whole things has nice b&w internal art that matches the feel of the period with a full page illustration of a video screen with Cyrillic text underneath acting as a chapter divider. showing the section title in English on the screen.

The only real issue I have is that the map of Istanbul on p199 is rather small and will be hard to show players. It is also quite poor in terms of locating the various areas mentioned although a list of numbered locations is provided with descriptions in the text. Anyone wanting to run this might be better off getting hold of a paper tourist map of the city to show to their players.
Some TOR Information on my G+ Drive.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
"The One Ring's not a computer game, dictated by stats and inflexible rules, it's a story telling game." - Clawless Dragon