Christian priest with weapons

Keltia is a roleplaying game of exciting adventure set in Dark Age Britain where Arthurian legends and Celtic myths are real.
Kinai

Christian priest with weapons

Post by Kinai » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:59 am

Hi.

I am preparing a campaign of Keltia and one of my friends wants to make a christian priest with a mace (or another weapon). I am against it by historical reasons, but they told me that it wouldn't be any problem.

So, what do you think? Do you allow something similar in your campaigns?

Thanks.

Kinai.

Corone

Re: Christian priest with weapons

Post by Corone » Tue May 02, 2017 9:22 am

For me it would depend on the background of the character.
While a priest or monk who has led a cloistered life is unlikely to have a weapon skill,
someone who joined the church a little later in life, perhaps after serving in the military, may well do.
I'm reminded of Cadfael (detective monk books made into a TV series a while ago) who was an ex soldier.
Athelstan the monk in Vikings also learned some weapon skills (but his training was somewhat non-standard!)
A noble son might have had some sword training, although mace is a little odd.

Having said that, I'd also wonder why the player wants it.
Some have a tendency to think they can't join a game without a weapon skill.
While a priest doesn't have to be non-combatant, it is a little odd if they are.
So my question would be 'why waste the points on it when you could be a better priest?'

If the issue is historical, history does have a tendency of throwing up exceptions to its rules.
(perhaps ask for an example of priests with maces for instance, which would solve it)
But I'd also argue its the GMs call to say if its a problem or not! :)

So, short answer is that I'd allow it if they can convince me there was a good in character reason.
But otherwise no, and it certainly shouldn't be one of their career skill choices.
Andrew Peregrine - Corone Design
Cubicle Seven Black Ops

Kinai

Re: Christian priest with weapons

Post by Kinai » Wed May 03, 2017 12:56 pm

Thanks for your answer and your help. :D

Greetings.