Economic System

The unique One Ring rules set invites tinkering and secondary creation. Whilst The One Ring works brilliantly as written, we provide this forum for those who want to make their own home-brewed versions of the rules. Note that none of these should be taken as 'official'.
Bocephas

Re: Economic System

Post by Bocephas » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:22 pm

My system does not have dwarves riding ponies as mounted cavalry (as in fighting from horseback). Ponies are used only for riding/travel (and pack of course). Sorry if that was confusing in my document.

Regarding horses, I purposely tried to make the system generic enough to accommodate cultures that fight from horseback and those that don't. Thus, you will see that my "Courser" can represent a really good riding horse (not afraid of battle, but also not meant to be used as a charger) or a lower grade charger meant to be ridden in combat.

Terisonen

Post by Terisonen » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:31 pm

Bocephas wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:16 pm
In my view, all cultures need pack animals, and most people with some wealth (from any culture) are going to ride when traveling. I agree that many cultures would not fight from horseback.

I'm not sure about Dwarves. Again, I think this is a hard culture to model. But in my system, a Dwarven Master's riding ponies only account for 9 silver out of 224 silver in military spending. So, this can easily be discounted/ignored, if you feel Dwarves should not have riding ponies.
Agree. Sounds (more than) reasonable :)

For using mounted combat in warfare, sole culture wher'e sure in canon fight from horseback are Rohirrim, may be in some extend people from Gondor, High Elves, but more as individual rather than as a culture in his whole. It sound also reasonnable to assume some of Easterling also fight mounted.
Nothing of Worth.

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:30 pm

Bocephas wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:22 pm
My system does not have dwarves riding ponies as mounted cavalry (as in fighting from horseback). Ponies are used only for riding/travel (and pack of course). Sorry if that was confusing in my document.
just blame me for that. I was riffing more off of Terisonen's post than responding to your own document. I do see Dwarves riding ponies, at least sometimes during long journeys; just not for the purpose of mounted combat. That's all I was trying to say really.
DR. MANHATTAN: I'm leaving this galaxy for one less complicated.
OZYMANDIAS: But you'd regained interest in human life...
DR. MANHATTAN: Yes, I have. I think perhaps I'll create some. Goodbye, Adrian.

Bocephas

Post by Bocephas » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:35 pm

No problem. Table of contents added. See updated document in first post.

Terisonen

Post by Terisonen » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:57 am

Thanks! It would be a huge aid to peruse your document.
Nothing of Worth.