Another "New Journey Rules", inspired by AiMe

The unique One Ring rules set invites tinkering and secondary creation. Whilst The One Ring works brilliantly as written, we provide this forum for those who want to make their own home-brewed versions of the rules. Note that none of these should be taken as 'official'.
Falenthal

Re: Another "New Journey Rules", inspired by AiMe

Post by Falenthal » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:57 pm

Hi, Ecorce!

I've read your post a few times, but still have some problems following your train of thoughts. I'm not sure if you're having issues with my rules, or if you've read Yepesnopes rules (which are similar to some point) and have erred the thread when answering.

It may be me missing something, but I'd like to help you if I can and I don't know where to start... ;)

Ecorce

Post by Ecorce » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:27 pm

I was answering to all the ideas since my last answer, not just your rules. :)

Trying to compare versions, wondering which one seems nice to me.
Ecorce French TOR community

Thoughts about The One Ring : Les Carnets d'Imladris / Notes from Imladris

Ecorce

Post by Ecorce » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:23 pm

I was comparing your version (one roll per 12 hex, no matter the number of legs) and james's version (one roll per leg, no matter the hex).

I find yours easier in some way. You have to count hex on the map, but after that it's quite fast. In james's version, there's more calculation.

So there can be more rolls, but your rules seem faster to learn and apply during the game. ;)
Ecorce French TOR community

Thoughts about The One Ring : Les Carnets d'Imladris / Notes from Imladris

Falenthal

Post by Falenthal » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:21 pm

Very sorry for the confusion, Ecorce! My brain might have melted a bit during the summer... :)

I guess it comes down to likings: I don't like having to do maths to know the number of days/rolls, and I don't like to reduce the whole journey to one single roll (if the journey is significant) because luck plays too large a role compared to the skill, IMO.

Other than that, my rules are simply a way to calculate short journeys (12 hexes), that can be repeated several times to calculate longer journeys if needed.

For example, if the fellowship is going from Erebor to Beorn's House along the Grey Mountain Narrows, I'd probably not divide the journey in several legs. I'd make the whole a long journey with 2 or 3 Fatigue tests and some Hazards related to the tone and terrain of the Narrows (I haven't counted the number of hexes now) and start the adventure at Beorn's House without more delays.

What I've come to like more from my own house-rules are things like passing successes to the companions, and the new way to face the Hazards using Traits related to the description. Both help the immersion and keep the Journeys from being a mechanical dice-rolling work.