The Beither is a creature of Celtic myth and legend. The stats for Adventures in Middle-earth are derived from those of the D&D 5e Behir, but without the ability of Lightning Breath. Also, I have added the poisoned stinger of the wyvern. I'm guessing that the Challenge rating can remain the same.
I look forward to feedback, including any corrections that might be needed.
The Beithir is a large, snake-like creature, possibly related to Dragons, found on the Cape of Eryn Vorn and the estuary of the Baranduin. The serpent's tail is equipped with a poisonous stinger on its end which carries a powerful venom. Beithirs are water-dwellers inhabiting estuaries, deep pools and small lakes, often emerging suddenly from the water to attack on land.
For The One Ring:
For Adventures in Middle-earthBeithirs:
Attribute Level: 7
Skills: Personality 2, Survival 3, Movement 4, Custom 1, Perception 4, Vocation 2
Weapon Skills: Bite 2, Constrict 4, Sting: 2
Special Abilities: Great Size; Seize Victim; Snake-like Speed; Thick Hide.
Called Shot Effects:
- Weapon Type: Bite; Damage: 7; Edge: 8; Injury: 14; Called Shot: Swallow
Notes: If the target is size Medium or smaller
- Weapon Type: Constrict*; Damage: 5: Edge: Eye; Injury: 14; Called Shot: None
Notes: The beithir winds its body around its victim using the Seize Victim ability
Weapon Type: Sting; Damage: 7; Edge: 10; Injury: 14; Called Shot: Poison
* If the Constrict roll is successful and produces a great or extraordinary success, the beithir immediately attacks its victim using its bite.
- Poison: The target has been poisoned.*
- Swallow: The beithir makes one bite attack against a target it is grappling. If the attack hits and the target is size Medium or smaller, the target is also swallowed and the grapple ends.**
* Beithir-poison: A poisoned character will continue to lose 2 Endurance every hour it is poisoned until it dies, the victim is successfully treated with a remedy, or the effects of the poison wear off. In addition, the victim suffers from the normal effects of being Poisoned. The effects of Beithir-poison wear off after one full day.
** While swallowed, the target is blinded and restrained, it has total cover against attacks and other effects outside the beithir, and it takes 5 damage from acid at the start of each of the beithir's turns. A beithir can only have one creature swallowed at a time.
STR 23 (+6), DEX 16 (+3), CON 18 (+4), INT 7 (-2), WIS 14 (+2), CHA 12 (+1)
Armour Class 17 (natural armor)
Hit Points 168 (16d12 + 64)
Speed 50 ft., swim 50 ft.
Skills Perception +6, Stealth +7
Senses darkvision 90 ft., passive Perception 16
Challenge 10 (5,900 XP)
Multiattack The beithir makes three attacks: one with its bite, one to constrict, and one with its stinger.
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +10 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 22 (3d10 + 6) piercing damage.
Constrict. Melee Weapon Attack: +10 to hit, reach 5 ft., one Large or smaller creature, Hit: 17 (2d10 + 6) slashing damage. The target is grappled (escape DC 16) if the Beithir isn't already constricting a creature, and the target is restrained until this grapple ends.
Stinger. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 10 ft., one creature. Hit: 11 (2d6 + 4) piercing damage. The target must make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw, taking 24 (7d6) poison damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
Swallow. The beithir makes one bite attack against a Medium or smaller target it is grappling. If the attack hits, the target is also swallowed, and the grapple ends. While swallowed, the target is blinded and restrained, it has total cover against attacks and other effects outside the beithir, and it takes 21 (6d6) acid damage at the start of each of the beithir's turns. A beithir can only have one creature swallowed at a time.
If the beithir takes 30 damage or more on a single turn from the swallowed creature, the beithir must succeed on a DC 14 Constitution saving throw at the end of that turn or regurgitate the creature, which falls prone in a space within 10 feet of the beithir. If the beithir dies, a swallowed creature is no longer restrained by it and can escape from the corpse by using 15 feet of movement, exiting prone.