Combat dice?

Get ready for the greatest adventure of your life! Learn more at our Kickstarter information page: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/lon ... ckstarter/
RobertF

Combat dice?

Post by RobertF » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:54 pm

I was thinking of ways to speed up combat and it occurred to me that the scores from the combat results table could be written onto the faces of a blank 10-sided die (which are available for sale on amazon). No more looking up die roll results on the chart!

The problem is that the typical 16 mm 10-sided die doesn't have a lot of room for writing on the faces, plus my penmanship isn't so good.

Now it would really be nifty if cubicle7 were to sell a set of large (say 25 mm) 10-sided LWAG dice, printed with the CRT results. :)

Rich H

Re: Combat dice?

Post by Rich H » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:00 pm

It's a 13 by 10 matrix of results. How would they fit on a d10?

Hermes Serpent

Post by Hermes Serpent » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:52 pm

You'd need a die the size of a soccer ball. In fact they already come with black and white coloured segments
Some TOR Information on my G+ Drive.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
"The One Ring's not a computer game, dictated by stats and inflexible rules, it's a story telling game." - Clawless Dragon

RobertF

Post by RobertF » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:31 pm

Well, you'd need a set of 13 d10 dice, one die for each combat ratio category. That's a drawback, but on the bright side you'd only need to hunt down the right die once per combat.

Another option would be to use a single d10 die printed with the 0/0 column results, then subtract 1/2 x the combat ratio # from the E result and add 1/2 x the combat ratio # to the LW result. This would be an approximation to the CRT, not an exact reproduction.

Rich H

Post by Rich H » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:15 pm

RobertF wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:31 pm
Well, you'd need a set of 13 d10 dice, one die for each combat ratio category. That's a drawback, but on the bright side you'd only need to hunt down the right die once per combat.
Unless your circumstances changed to alter that ratio. It's happened more than a few times in my campaign. Also, when someone else has the same ratio in combat do they have another set of 13 dice of their own or do they borrow the same one? That's a lot of dice on the table or dice being handed around. How do you identify the different ratios for each of these 13 dice? Colour coded? Some other mechanism? How do you remember which is which? And what about writing the results on each side of the dice; they'd need to be readable or you'd get "sorry, I can't read this. What's the chart say? Just look it up for me".
RobertF wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:31 pm
Another option would be to use a single d10 die printed with the 0/0 column results, then subtract 1/2 x the combat ratio # from the E result and add 1/2 x the combat ratio # to the LW result. This would be an approximation to the CRT, not an exact reproduction.
Sweet Jesus, I'll keep the chart, thanks. It's far easier to look things up there and let my players just roll their own d10s than what you're proposing here which sounds like it's more trouble than its worth. Try it though; let us know how you get on.

RobertF

Post by RobertF » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:15 pm

Sweet Jesus, I'll keep the chart, thanks. It's far easier to look things up there and let my players just roll their own d10s than what you're proposing here which sounds like it's more trouble than its worth. Try it though; let us know how you get on.
Yes, probably better to avoid math during an RPG. I'm just brainstorming options.
Unless your circumstances changed to alter that ratio. It's happened more than a few times in my campaign. Also, when someone else has the same ratio in combat do they have another set of 13 dice of their own or do they borrow the same one? That's a lot of dice on the table or dice being handed around. How do you identify the different ratios for each of these 13 dice? Colour coded? Some other mechanism? How do you remember which is which? And what about writing the results on each side of the dice; they'd need to be readable or you'd get "sorry, I can't read this. What's the chart say? Just look it up for me".
Color coded ink or small colored dots on each face might help. Looking online, I did find jumbo sized d10 dice, 31 mm wide, which should provide enough space to write legibly. However, they're a bit pricey ($12.04 for a pack of four in the US). Another option is to build your own d10 dice from paper cutout templates available online & then custom size.

Rich H

Post by Rich H » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:46 pm

I get you, thanks. I really think you're creating more work and actually a slower resolution to combat than using the chart within the RAW. It certainly feels more onerous to me.

Phantomdoodler

Post by Phantomdoodler » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:15 am

I am not sure if this is worth doing. Part of the beauty and simplicity of LWAG combat is taking the players rolls and describing the result in a narrative fashion. The gm doesn't roll so really all they have to do is interpret the dice result so using the table is effortless, and to be honest gives you something to do as well as describe. Having to ask the player the result and then describing the effect would seem to diminish the narrative and robs the gm of the ability to hide the EP losses to the enemies.

As the rules stand: "ok Bob, what did you get? A 3, ok (reading -5/-4), you give the giak a swift blow with your battle-axe burying the blade into your foes shoulder. However you overreach, leaving yourself open to its wicked scimitar blade. It stabs you in your side as you struggle to pull your weapon from its ichor-caked shoulder . Lose 4 EPs"

That description is more interesting if you don't reveal the result first, building the tension of the action sequence. Imagine watching an action film where just before the outcome the relative damage inflicted was flashed up before a shot.
Justin Wyatt

RPGperik

Post by RPGperik » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:53 pm

Yeah man, what's so difficult about the combat table? :?

Your dice thing does sound like something that FFG would be interested in...
it is = it's | you are = you're | they are = they're

RPGbericht (Dutch)

NIÑO

Post by NIÑO » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:35 am

I'd say hardly, FFG's system's less clunky. :mrgreen:

Ñ