Multiple Players Domination

Get ready for the greatest adventure of your life! Learn more at our Kickstarter information page: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/lon ... ckstarter/
adgramaine

Multiple Players Domination

Post by adgramaine » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:14 pm

I have three Kai Lords in my current game, with another joining tomorrow. I am finding that the characters are breezing through Combat. I use the Master set of rules including Combat Modifiers, Combat Techniques, and Grouping. I try not to rely too much on Combat (poison is a good example of this), loss of Equipment, limited Equipment ('Gee guys, I like what I have, but I really want that Jeweled Mace') regular Meals and resting (the Healer-focused Kai Lord can only do so much). Now, I don't have anything beyond the core boxed set, but there has got to be something I am over-looking because I've seen YouTube videos with 3-4 players that are run without problems.

Since all my players have never played the original game books, I am running a multiplayer story that is pretty much identical to the gamebooks themselves. They are mid-Book Three (and I am using the rules for cold weather and such) and I am beside myself trying to balance the game as best I can.

Any ideas?

NIÑO

Re: Multiple Players Domination

Post by NIÑO » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:17 am

Hiyas!

Jus' to give us an idea of what you're typing about, specific examples of situations would be swell. ;)

Thanks!
Ñ

adgramaine

Post by adgramaine » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:37 pm

The Healer of the group (Healing Discipline and Medicine Skill) wears Chainmail, Helmet and carries a Shield (Defence 4); Weaponskill in Axe (modified CS is 17). His tosses (we don't use dice) have a completely random range, but he always comes up with a win despite Mobs of Giaks, Drakkarim, Bandits and even a Helghast (with the Magic Spear from Book One). Adding Defence for Armour doesn't slow the Kai Lords down in the least.

The Tracker has a higher CS and EP and he has a much harder time in combat. Same with the "Faceman". Both have Mind Blast and Weaponskill.

The gourgaz in Book One was a single round combat despite added Defence for scales, CS penalty for stench and a buff of +3CS/EP just because we had three Kai Lords.

We are playing though The Caverns of Kalte and will begin The Chasm of Doom next week.

Is there something I am forgetting...?

silverfoxdmt73

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:33 pm

adgramaine wrote:The gourgaz in Book One was a single round combat despite added Defence for scales, CS penalty for stench and a buff of +3CS/EP just because we had three Kai Lords.
I guess each of the Kai got an attack against the gourgaz, choosing a Random Number and applied the result in turn?

I don't think you could have done much about that, other than throwing in more giaks with their +CS bonus for having a gourgaz commander.

In book 3 I would consider adding more baknar to those encounters, though the kalkoth and their poisoned bites along with the javek should prove more of a challenge later in that adventure.

I would check out the rules for environmental damage - extreme cold and falling, for example and use those to counter the high armour - Defense is no help against cold/fire/poison damage.

NIÑO

Post by NIÑO » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:31 pm

Hiyas!

Also, please remember that the gamebooks are suited for "one Kai Lord"; if yas got more, then you could multiply foes, et al., accordingly.

HtH

Ñ