Asking About Magic of Magnamund and Bestiary Books

Get ready for the greatest adventure of your life! Learn more at our Kickstarter information page: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/lon ... ckstarter/
Garry

Asking About Magic of Magnamund and Bestiary Books

Post by Garry » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:52 am

Our family has been playing Lone Wolf for the last few weeks and enjoying it very much. It's at just the right level of complexity for my wife and 12 year daughter to enjoy as a first RPG.

Does anyone know if Cubicle7 has any plans to make the Magic of Magnamund and Bestiary books available in the US, either in print or as PDF's? There are used copies available, but they're fairly expensive.

The core books included the boxed set are great, but books about the creatures of Lone Wolf and how magic works in the system would be a big addition to the game for us.

Thank you for any information you can provide.

HorusZA

Re: Asking About Magic of Magnamund and Bestiary Books

Post by HorusZA » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:28 pm

For the C7 version of Lone Wolf neither of these two books exists yet.
There was a "Magic of Magnamund" supplement for the d20 version of Line Wolf published by Mongoose, which is not really compatible with the C7 edition.
A Bestiary book was released for the LWMPG (which is the direct ancestor of the C7 edition) also published by Mongoose. It is largely compatible with C7 but doesn't feature many of the new rules and tweaks introduced by C7. It will probably work well enough for the Initiate-level game, but the Master-level game it's missing all the crunchy bits.

That said, It is my understanding that the C7 Edition of the Bestiary was next on the schedule for publication before the untimely death of Joe Dever. I can only imagine that the book will eventually see print...

Garry

Post by Garry » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:12 pm

Thank you for your answer!

I hadn't realized that the Kickstarter Lone Wolf wasn't the Cubicle7 version of Lone Wolf.

I read about Joe Dever's death while reading about Lone Wolf online. I was impressed both by how many people loved his books and by the fact that he chose to post his Lone Wolf books online for free. I got the sense that he was a guy who genuinely enjoyed entertaining his readers.

Until Cubicle7 publishes a bestiary of some kind, I think I can use the original books and the Wisdom of the Kai book to come up with plenty of encounters for us. I also think I'll buy the PDF of Cubicle7's Heroes of Magnamund.

Thank you again for answering.

Ghal Maraz

Post by Ghal Maraz » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:07 am

Garry, the first part of the Magnamund Bestiary (called the Magnamund Menagerie) will soon arrive in PDF format to the general public, as it's been just released to the Kickstarter backers (it's a yesterday's news, just to be clear!).

I expect it will be avaliable on Drivethrurpg.com by next week. You can then pre-order a print copy on Cubicle 7's webstore, thus getting the PDF immediately as a digital download (print+PDF bundles are the norm with Cubicle 7).

I also agree with your intention of getting Heroes of Magnamund: it's a really good book, full of crunch but with some excellent fluff too, and it's quite mandatory to expand the game in a much broader scope.

Garry

Post by Garry » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:43 pm

That's great to hear!

I'll look for it next week.

Thank you for your answer!

ludwig5

Post by ludwig5 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:53 am

maybe it's just me but i'm really disappointed by cubicle .l can see review and news of every products on its site except lone wolf ,they simply ignore it.Can somenoe tell me why?

NIÑO

Post by NIÑO » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:56 am

ludwig5 wrote:maybe it's just me but i'm really disappointed by cubicle .l can see review and news of every products on its site except lone wolf ,they simply ignore it.Can somenoe tell me why?

Hiyas!

I do hope you're jesting; have you seen the news about LW at all?

Ñ

ludwig5

Post by ludwig5 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:20 pm

where? on the cubicle website I have seen nothing

Bewildered Badger

Post by Bewildered Badger » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:28 pm

Garry wrote: I hadn't realized that the Kickstarter Lone Wolf wasn't the Cubicle7 version of Lone Wolf.
Just to clarify. The Kickstarter Lone Wolf RPG, properly called 'The Lone Wolf Adventure Game', is from Cubicle 7. There were two previous RPG's, both from Mongoose. The first used the D20 system, very complex. The second, The Lone Wolf Multiplayer Game, used a variant on the rules from the original game books.

Because the LWAG is also based on the gamebook rules, a lot of GMs have been using the Multiplayer Game's supplements, like the Bestiary or the Book Of The Magnakai, until such time as C7 release their own version. Apart from being closer to the LWAG rules, it was Joe Dever's intention that these should be as accurate as possible to the world he created, making them the definitive source books.

At any rate, you may be pleased to hear that the Magnamund Menagerie is now available for download from RPGnow and similar online stores. The print copy can now be pre-ordered from C7 directly, and includes a link for a free copy of the PDF.
And it is awesome.