Alternate Combat System

Get ready for the greatest adventure of your life! Learn more at our Kickstarter information page: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/lon ... ckstarter/
helghast

Alternate Combat System

Post by helghast » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:39 pm

I know that the Combat Resolution Table (CRT) is regarded as typical and iconic for the Lone Wolf Series.

I enjoyed it a lot using it in the hours and hours I fought and adventured through the gamebooks.

But now that I'm a GM in the LW Adventure Game, my Player Characters are not so happy with this method.

They would rather enjoy something like, Attack- and seperate Damage Rolls.

So I came up with an idea... what about this:
CS 8= -1
CS 9 = -1
CS 10 = +-0
CS 11= +1
CS 12= +1
CS 13=+2
etc.

Heroe and Foe roll a D10 and add their "CS-Bonus", the higher one "wins" and deals Damage (D6 with 6 exploding)

This method is only a "Beta" Version right now and needs to be play-tested...

But what do you think generally, about this and altering the Combat in Lone Wolf ??

Phantomdoodler

Re: Alternate Combat System

Post by Phantomdoodler » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:30 am

Thats a shame because I think the combat results table (assuming the narrator uses it and just describes the result without actual numbers) is incredibly narrative. The player rolls, the gm decribes what happens in a colourful way and then adjusts the enemies EP accordingly. However if you must tinker, I would keep the use of the d10, so use a d5. However the very important thing to consider is that the table is designed to make the players more heroic, slanting the results so that the enemy inflicts less than the player. if you are going to introduce a new system, make sure that the enemies inflict less damage. Such combats are likely to last longer as there is a chance neither side will inflict any damage each round, so you may have to decrease EP values.
Justin Wyatt