Power Word Spell - Magician of Dessi

Get ready for the greatest adventure of your life! Learn more at our Kickstarter information page: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/lon ... ckstarter/
Fly

Power Word Spell - Magician of Dessi

Post by Fly » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:42 pm

Hello,
I have a question about the Spell in Subject, having the italian edition, I don't know if there is wrong translation in the description.

The question is: with Power Word, a Magician could attack multiple enemies (not grouped) at once? And if so, how does this apply in the game? Should I roll a dice for each target and view the combat result table? Or just once and apply the damage for each enemy?

Could you give me and example of combat with Power Word?
Thank you ^_^

Phantomdoodler

Re: Power Word Spell - Magician of Dessi

Post by Phantomdoodler » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:56 pm

According to the English version, you spend 1-5 Willpower and make one melee or ranged attack (depends on how close you are to the target and whether they can strike back), using your CS. The target takes damage equal to the E result, plus the Willpower spent on the attack, multiplied by 2 if they are a single target, or by 3 if they are a grouped enemy.

Rachise the Magician of Dessi, with CS 11, attempts to launch a ranged Power Word attack at a group of Giaks (CS 22, EP 31). The player spends 5 Willpower and makes a roll, using the -11 Column. The player rolls a 7 so inflicts 3+5 Endurance, multiplied by 3, or 24 Endurance points, killing several of the Giaks in one powerful ball of energy.
Justin Wyatt

Fly

Post by Fly » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:29 am

Thanks for the response, but my doubt was on this: "a Magician could attack multiple enemies (not grouped) at once?"

In your example there is a group of Giak (an horde). But, what if you have a Gourgaz, a Drakkar and a Giak instead?
I mean, three enemies enough near each other to get shooted by the Power Word spell.

I hope I explained well my doubt.

Phantomdoodler

Post by Phantomdoodler » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:16 am

That text does not exist in the English version, so I can see an issue there. Basically you make a single attack, just as you would against any targets, so that may be a single Drakkar or a mob of giaks, all who must be within close range. You cannot target several single targets with one attack.
Justin Wyatt

Ghal Maraz

Post by Ghal Maraz » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:26 pm

Yeah, that's a problem with the Italian translation. I suggest you simply ignore it.

Fly

Post by Fly » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:57 pm

Ghal Maraz wrote:Yeah, that's a problem with the Italian translation. I suggest you simply ignore it.
That's ok!

But now I'm curious about the possibility of a combat with multiple enemies using a weapon/spell/other that could possibly make a damage to a group of different enemies at once (without group trait).
Is it not possible to do that? If not, how could you imagine it with the actual game mechanics?

Ghal Maraz

Post by Ghal Maraz » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:22 pm

The system isn't really tailored to it. Worse still, it would imbalance the "damage only once per combat round" golden rule.

Phantomdoodler

Post by Phantomdoodler » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:59 pm

Yes I agree it would be overpowered. I cant really see the need for it anyway as you will have an entire adventuring party to deal with multiple threats.
Justin Wyatt

Fly

Post by Fly » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:13 am

I asked August on chat about the possibility of damaging multiple enemies with one attack.

Probably he can just post here with more details, but he gently answered to me:

Me: Do you think it may be possible to use a weapon or spell to make damage to multiple enemies, not grouped?
August: Possible, yes. Something like a chain lightning spell.
Me: And how does it work in terms of combat result mechanics?
August:  If I had to write it? One Willpower per target, maximum target # of half your Rank rounded down. Makes one normal attack one each target.
Me: Does this could create problem with the golden rule of combat? The only one damage per round.
August: Nah, because it is still one attack. It is just hitting all at once.

Phantomdoodler

Post by Phantomdoodler » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:24 pm

That sounds cool. One of the strengths of the Magician of Dessi Role is that you can swap out disciplines for other spells, so a spell of that type would be interesting.
Justin Wyatt