starting equipment and weapons

Get ready for the greatest adventure of your life! Learn more at our Kickstarter information page: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/lon ... ckstarter/
Fly

starting equipment and weapons

Post by Fly » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:48 pm

Hi all,

I have few questions about the weapons.

1) Except greatness or shapeness, is there any difference between a normal bow and a longbow? Maybe the shot range?

2) When creating a new PG, the weapons in the starting equipment list are all without quality or are they with a default one (e.g Balanced (1) Sword)?

Thanks in advance,
Flavio

Phantomdoodler

Re: starting equipment and weapons

Post by Phantomdoodler » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:55 am

Hi!

1) As yet, no, but there are more weapons coming in the Sommerlund rulebook. Range is kept pretty abstract in LWAG so if its a missile weapon, you can hit targets at Long or Far range.

2) Its entirely up to the Narrator but as written, weapons don't come with default qualities Some narrator's like to give default weapons qualities, while others treat them as upgrades for exceptional weapons. My personal take is to assume no defaults, and then experiment by giving npcs different weapons with qualities. So maybe one has a finely crafted sword (Balanced), or a brace of throwing daggers (Small, Throwing). Qualities add a certain crunch to combat so if you are happy with that, add as many qualities as you are comfortable with.
Justin Wyatt

Fly

Post by Fly » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:51 am

Thank you for the response, Phantomdoodler.

For the moment I assume no difference between Bow and LongBow, while I think I could give some little defaults to the initial equipment.

Fly

Post by Fly » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:34 pm

I was thinking about a difference between Bow and LongBow in terms of bonus/malus in Combat Skill:

Actually for both, there is a +2 CS on Close range, no bonuses on Long Range and an EP half damage on Far range (no bonus on CS).

Why not use Long Bow this way?

On Close Range: -1 CS, full damage on EP
On Long Range: +2 CS, full damage on EP
On Far Range: +1 CS, half damage on EP

What do you think? Too complex? Or we have to modify also the normal bow?

Phantomdoodler

Post by Phantomdoodler » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:55 pm

Its a tad fiddly. Personally I would just create a new quality and give it to a Longbow. Something like:

Extended Range
The weapon is designed to be used at very long distances, ignoring the damage penalty missile weapons usually gain at Far range.
Justin Wyatt