Narrator's Toolkit- Weapon Qualities

Get ready for the greatest adventure of your life! Learn more at our Kickstarter information page: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/lon ... ckstarter/
Bewildered Badger

Re: Narrator's Toolkit- Weapon Qualities

Post by Bewildered Badger » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:46 pm

We know Sommerlending Oak exists. In Shadow On The Sand Lone Wolf feels a momentary homesickness seeing such a tree in the Zakhan's arboretum. What properties it has, if any, are unclear. I just wanted to give those who don't use metal weapons a chance to get something special.
My reasoning was that if it was particularly light a wooden weapon could be swung more easily. But that doesn't feel quite right to me, which is why I threw it open for more opinions.
Spears and lances could also be made from oak.

Phantomdoodler

Post by Phantomdoodler » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:13 pm

In a similar vein to the weapons, the same can be applied to Armour. Since most armour qualities are negative, enhanced versions of the armour reduce the rank of such qualities (each extra item slot would reduce a negative quality by 1). The Narrator could also apply negative traits if the armour was badly fitting (such as being looted from the battlefield).

Buckler
Inherent Qualities: None
Suitable Qualities: Striking

Chainmail Waistcoat
Suitable Qualities: None

Chainmail Hauberk
Inherent Qualities: Heavy 1
Suitable Qualities: Heavy (removal)

Hide Armour

Plate Armour (Full)
Inherent Qualities: Heavy 3
Suitable Qualities: Striking, Heavy (reduction)

Leather Armour (vestment)

Helmet
Suitable Qualities: None

Sommlending Shield (Greatshield)
Inherent Qualities: Tiring 3
Suitable Qualities: Striking, Tiring (increase)

Sommlending Shield (Standard)

Studded Leather Armour
Justin Wyatt

silverfoxdmt73

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:42 am

How about adding special armour items such as bracers (as seen in Book 6, worn by the mercenary captain you befriend) and gauntlets?

silverfoxdmt73

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:52 pm

Mazaar’s Emporium – Quality Weapons and Armour from around Magnamund

Sommlending Cavalry Sword – 110gc (Sword) Crafted from the finest Sommlending steel, this slightly curved blade is intended for use when fighting from horseback, but is equally deadly when used on foot. The blade shows signs of use and has some markings that have been partly obscured near the hilt. Comes with a fine leather scabbard.
[Qualities: Impact (1). Special Material: Sommlending steel (+2 CS.]

Narrator Notes: This blade belonged to a cavalry officer in the Sommlending King’s Guard who was injured in battle in MS 4989 in the Stornlands. His weapon was lost, along with his horse as the detachment was ambushed by mercenaries as they crossed a river. As is the custom, the officer’s name was engraved along the blade of the weapon along with the date it was presented to him. The name has been obscured by someone, but the numerals noting the year are discernible.

Bewildered Badger

Post by Bewildered Badger » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:31 pm

Interesting idea Silverfox. Would Impact be suitable for a cutting weapon though?

silverfoxdmt73

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:33 am

I initially went for Heavy but the implication in the text is that it would be a 2 handed weapon. I want to convey the fact it is a weighted weapon, mainly intended for use from horseback. Maybe Piercing would be a better fit.