Narrator's Toolkit- Weapon Qualities

Get ready for the greatest adventure of your life! Learn more at our Kickstarter information page: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/lon ... ckstarter/
silverfoxdmt73

Re: Narrator's Toolkit- Weapon Qualities

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:25 am

Bewildered Badger wrote: A very comprehensive list, silverfox, though I think Short Swords and Broadswords should have their own categories. In Weaponskill terms they are different to normal Swords.
You are quite correct.. I missed that...

Would you then suggest that Great Sword be included in the Broadsword's skill set?
Bewildered Badger wrote: I'd also argue that Short Swords should have the Small Quality, probably Small (2). Quite apart from fitting the weapon concept, it allows players the chance to do Legolas impressions, bow and two Short Swords!
True, I think you are probably on the right track with that.

I will make some changes to my post.

EDIT (07:29): Changes made.. Anyone else let me know if there are weapons that can be added to the different Weaponskill categories - I feel the Quasterstaff, Sword and Short Sword's could do with a few more entries.

silverfoxdmt73

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:58 pm

Currently Leather Vestments and Chainmail Waistcoat are the only body armour on offer to Kai Lords.

In terms of equipment traits/defence ratings, what do you think would be the benefits to wearing things like hardened leather, scale mail, steel breastplate armours. Would there be any point in going into detail with things like armoured leggings, bracers and other types of helmets?

EDIT: Problems would be how to work in differences in terms of game mechanics seeing as Leather gives +2END/+1 DEF and Chain gives +4END/+2 DEF (Initiate/Master rules), and I would imagine hard leather falls somewhere between those.

Phantomdoodler

Post by Phantomdoodler » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:16 pm

I am pretty sure in the heroes book, they will expand the equipment (like the mongoose version did), so:

Bone (+3EP)
Buckler (+1 CS)
Breastplate (+5 EP)
Chainmail (Full) (+5 EP)
Chainmail Waistcoat (+4 EP)
Full Plate (+8 EP)
Gauntlets* (+1 EP)
Greaves* (+2 EP)
Helmet* (+2 EP)
Hide (+3 EP)
Leather Vestment (+2 EP)
Padded Leather (+1 EP)
Plate Mail (+6 EP)
Rerebraces* (+1 EP)
Sabatons* (+1 EP)
Scale Mail (+4 EP)
Studded Leather (+3 EP)
Sommlending Great Shield (+3 CS)
Vambraces* (+2 EP)

*May be worn with other armour

If using the Defence rules, I guess add up any EP bonuses from all armour worn, and divide the result by 2, rounding down, so a player wearing a Breastplate, Sabatons and Vambraces gains 4 Defence.
Justin Wyatt

silverfoxdmt73

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:44 pm

Cheers for the info.

I might hold off and see what equipment comes with the HoM book.

Bewildered Badger

Post by Bewildered Badger » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:33 pm

Staff weapons.

The following weapons comprise of long wooden staffs that do damage by impact, not cutting or piercing. All can be used with Weaponskill: Quarterstaff. Costs are approximate and may vary.

Stick (1GC)
A wooden stick, about 3ft long, sturdy enough to be used as a weapon, but generally used as a walking aid.

Staff (5GC, Heavy)
A thicker stick, up to six feet long.

Quarterstaff (15GC Heavy, Defensive (1))
A staff between six and eight feet in length. The cost represents the time and effort of the craftsman involved in preparing this weapon.
Contrary to how it is presented in fiction, the 'half-stance' (facing your opponent, staff held diagonally between you, striking with either end or even the middle) is rarely used. The more effective quarter-stance has the user stand side on to the opponent. Lead hand holds the staff about a quarter of the way up, rear hand near the butt. A thrust is carried out by using the rear hand to push, sliding the staff through the forehand (this is unlike the spear, where both arms are used).
Typically though the weapon is swung into impact. Because of the length of the staff even a short swing can be effective, especially against the head or neck. The length of the weapon also allows the user to keep their opponent at a distance, reducing risk to themselves.

Weighted Quarterstaff (20GC Heavy, Defensive (1), Impact (1))
Simply a Quarterstaff that has metal weights at each end, both for balance and for added impact.

silverfoxdmt73

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:58 pm

They work for me BB.

What else are we short on?

How about Whip's, Nets and other entangling weapons?

What would be the main Traits of those?

Would you impose a penalty on your opponent's CS after a hit where you did more damage than them (indicating a 'hit' by your Hero?) Or make them more of a Defensive weapon?

Phantomdoodler

Post by Phantomdoodler » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:17 pm

I have being given some thought to weapon Qualities. From the descriptions in the books, weapon qualities seem like they shouldn't be overused. Each weapon coming with a standard 3 qualities leaves less room for interesting or special weapons. However from the description of weapons, it does seem like some weapons ought to have inherent qualities. So here is my take:

Normally weapons start without any qualities (there are some exceptions) but they can be purchased with them by increasing the cost (narrators discretion). During character generation you may choose a suitable quality for one of your starting weapons by using up one of your available item slots. Each slot provides a new quality at rank 1 (or 2 for Small), or increases an existing quality by 1.

Each weapon has any inherent Qualities listed, plus suitable Qualities that can be chosen or purchased. When buying a weapon, the narrator can prepare a list of weapons available, plus any weapons with additional qualities. Such examples should be rare though,unless the merchant has access to a talented blacksmith.

Axe
Inherent Qualities: None
Suitable Qualities: Throwing, Cleaving

Bor Musket
Inherent Qualities: Slow, Two Handed
Suitable Qualities: Piercing

Bor Pistol
Inherent Qualities: Slow
Suitable Qualities: Quick

Bow
Inherent Qualities: Two Handed

Broadsword
Inherent Qualities: Heavy
Suitable Qualities: Balanced, Cleaving

Cutlass/Naval Short Sword
Suitable Qualities: Cleaving, Balanced

Dagger
Inherent Qualities: Small 6, Throwing

Handbolt
Inherent Qualities: Small 6

Knife
Inherent Qualities: Small 4
Suitable Qualities: None

Lance
Inherent Qualities: Reach, Slow (on foot)
Suitable Qualities: Impact

Mace
Suitable Qualities: Impact, Heavy

Quarterstaff
Suitable Qualities: Defensive, Heavy

Shiel-Fa
Suitable Qualities: Quick, Piercing

Short Sword
Inherent Qualities: Small 2
Suitable Qualities: Quick, Versatile

Sickle
Suitable Qualities: Cleaving, Quick

Spear
Inherent Qualities: Throwing
Suitable Qualities: Reach, Piercing

Sword
Suitable Qualities: Balanced, Versatile

Warhammer
Suitable Qualities: Impact, Heavy, Piercing

Battle Axe/Drodarin War Axe
Inherent Qualities: Two Handed, Heavy
Suitable Qualities: Cleaving

Claymore/Greatsword
Inherent Qualities: Two Handed, Heavy
Suitable Qualities: Cleaving, Balanced

Crossbow
Inherent Qualities: Two Handed, Slow
Suitable Qualities: Impact
Crossbows ignore half of the targets Defence, rounding down.

Crossbow Pistol

Dart
Inherent Qualities: Small 6, Throwing

Falchion
Inherent Qualities: Heavy

Halberd
Inherent Qualities: Two Handed, Reach
Suitable Qualities: Versatile, Balanced

Knuckledusters
Inherent Qualities: Improvised 2

Longbow

Pike
Inherent Qualities: Two Handed, Reach

Rapier
Suitable Qualities: Quick, Piercing

Scimitar

Scythe
Suitable Qualities: Cleaving, Heavy

I would also allow a player to start with a weapon with another quality if it can be justified.
Last edited by Phantomdoodler on Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:19 am, edited 18 times in total.
Justin Wyatt

silverfoxdmt73

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:41 pm

I'd tend to go along with that, after all, it was a rare find indeed to get a Bronin warhammer or silver helm in the game books, so gaining a weapon or armour with special qualities in LWAG should be something like getting a +1 or +2 magic weapon in a low magic D&D setting.

Bewildered Badger

Post by Bewildered Badger » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:03 pm

That's a very comprehensive list Phantomdoodler. I might quibble a couple of points (I would argue that Short Swords by their very nature have to be Small) but overall that's a well thought out piece of work.

As an aside, I'm trying to come up appropriate qualities for weapons, and maybe shields, made with Sommerlending Oak. I was thinking maybe weapons gain +1 CS and the Quick Trait, and shields gain +1 Def but don't affect the place in the Order Of Battle. Any thoughts?

Phantomdoodler

Post by Phantomdoodler » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:21 pm

Cheers. Yes I think you are probably right with short swords. I will adjust that so they all start with Small 2. On Sommlending Oak..Is there any canon on This? I guess we are just talking bows, quarterstaffs and shields then? I don't really see how wood would make you quicker. It might be tougher than other wood so make bows that could firer at greater distances or with more punch. Quarter staffs might gain the Defensive quality, while yes, shields would weigh less so I can see that ignoring Order of battle penalties.

So something like this:

Bows: ignore -2 penalty for firing at Far range
Quart staff: item gains Defensive 1 (or increases this by 1)
Shield: CS bonus doesn't affect the Order of Battle.
Justin Wyatt