Narrator's Toolkit- Weapon Qualities

Get ready for the greatest adventure of your life! Learn more at our Kickstarter information page: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/lon ... ckstarter/
Phantomdoodler

Narrator's Toolkit- Weapon Qualities

Post by Phantomdoodler » Wed May 20, 2015 4:13 pm

Since weapon qualities are entirely optional, I thought it my be useful for different Narrators to chew the fat regarding how we may use them for our games. I would like players to have the option of buying weapons with qualities, rather than have them as standard benefits:

Weapon Quality Costs

Purchasing a weapon with a Quality increases the cost of the base weapon:

Balanced: 5 GCs per +1 Bonus
Cleaving: 5 GCs per +1 Bonus
Defensive: 10 GCs per +1 Bonus
Heavy: +5 GCs
Impact: 5 GCs per -1 Defence
Piercing: 10 GCs per +1 Bonus
Quick: 10 GCs
Small: 2 GC per rating (Min 2). The total cost represents a full bandoleer of such weapons.
Two Hands: None. This is often required for weapons with the Heavy, Cleave or Impact qualities.
Throwing: 2 GCs
Versatile: 15 GCs

So for example, Six Daggers with the Throwing, Small (6) and Quick qualities costs 29 GCs. A Broadsword with Balanced 1, Cleave 2, and Heavy would cost 45 GCs.

If a Narrator wants Qualities to be less affordable, they could multiple the costs above by 2, 5,10, or possible more, to reflect that.
Justin Wyatt

Bewildered Badger

Re: Narrator's Toolkit- Weapon Qualities

Post by Bewildered Badger » Sun May 24, 2015 5:00 pm

That's a good idea, though I think some Weapons should come with one or two Qualities as standard. A Dagger, by it's very nature, should be Small. A Bow must have Ranged and Two-Hands. A Mace should have at least Impact 1. And so on.

I'd also argue that some Qualities are mutually exclusive. You couldn't have a Small, Heavy weapon for example.

Phantomdoodler

Post by Phantomdoodler » Sun May 24, 2015 8:03 pm

Well apparently a dagger would only have Small if it was smaller than a standard dagger, according to Jon. However I can see the merit in granting every weapon one quality, if you want create variety with standard weapons.
Justin Wyatt

Bewildered Badger

Post by Bewildered Badger » Thu May 28, 2015 10:19 am

I was wondering if Heavy might be better off with a value, as in Heavy (X). That would allow for two handed wielding to be more effective, if you were able to get a weapon with a higher value. Perhaps with a few limitations to prevent it getting uber-powerful. For example:

Heavy (X): Because of it's size, weight, or balance, this Weapon is best suited to two handed wielding. When used with both hands the X value is added to Combat Skill. However, this makes it unwieldy to use with one hand. If this is attempted, the X value is subtracted from Combat Skill instead.
In addition, due to size and weight requirements, a Weapon with Heavy (X) cannot also have the Small (X) or Quick qualities.

Thoughts?

silverfoxdmt73

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Thu May 28, 2015 3:18 pm

Interesting ideas.

I would suggest perhaps adding a Slow Quality for Heavy and/or Two Handed weapons. The reverse of Quick, Slow weapons move the bearer down the Order of Battle by one. It could be negated by the user having the Kai Weaponskill discipline in the relevant weapon.

For example, an Axe with Heavy (2), Two Handed also counts as Slow unless the wielder has Kai Weaponskill - Axe.

ludwig

Post by ludwig » Thu May 28, 2015 4:03 pm

Nice ideas
At the moment,l'm houseruling that small weapons doesn't grant bonus when used with two hands.

Phantomdoodler

Post by Phantomdoodler » Thu May 28, 2015 6:37 pm

I love the idea of more negative qualities. Maybe:

Weak (X)
The weapon doesn't allow the attack to use their full strength when making attack. When determining damage, the enemy or hero takes -X damage.

This would allow the narrator to create balanced weapons. for example a standard Dagger may be Small (3), Quick and Weak 2, While a two handed Axe could be Slow and Heavy.
Justin Wyatt

silverfoxdmt73

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Thu May 28, 2015 7:22 pm

Hmm.

I like the principle but I'd be wary of using a quality that reduces damage outright. How about making a targets armour more effective against them. Say having Defence enhanced by (x) when the attackers weapon has the Weak (x) quality?

Bewildered Badger

Post by Bewildered Badger » Fri May 29, 2015 4:58 pm

I'd be cautious about adding any negative effects to Two Handed weapons. As it is there is already a drawback to using them---you cannot use a shield or second weapon---and it doesn't offer any advantages. As such Two Handed is the only weapon quality that does not benefit the user, and actually hinders them.

I'd suggest that Two Handed doesn't count towards the three quality limit, as it's taking up a 'slot' that could otherwise be used for something useful. Indeed, I'd go so far to say that Two Handed weapons should get a free quality that doesn't count to the limit, to make up for it's drawbacks. In the case of bows, this should be Ranged. For melee weapons Heavy would be appropriate (Heavy (1), if you use the idea mentioned earlier), though Defensive (1), Cleave (1) or Impact (1) might also be suitable.

If care is taken to prevent such weapons becoming too prevalent this could make Two Handed weapons a more attractive alternative to sword-and-board.

Bewildered Badger

Post by Bewildered Badger » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:48 pm

A thought about Small weapons. Rather than making them weaker under all circumstances, and thus undesirable, what about having them less effective against large weapons? For convenience we could say that any weapon with Two Handed or Heavy counts as large.

So:
Small (X): Small weapons can be carried in multiples. (X) is how many weapons of this type count as a single weapon for carrying purposes. Most Small weapons have a special sort of sheath, case or bandoleer that holds them when not in use.
When used against a weapon with Two Handed or Heavy, Small weapons suffer a -2CS penalty. This does not apply if you dual wield and the second weapon is not Small (i.e. a Dagger and a Sword). If you dual wield with two Small Weapons, the penalty does not stack.
Small Weapons cannot be used two handed.