Heroes of Magnamund and playable villains

Get ready for the greatest adventure of your life! Learn more at our Kickstarter information page: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/lon ... ckstarter/
B'noodnic

Heroes of Magnamund and playable villains

Post by B'noodnic » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:58 pm

Hi everyone.

I had Heroes of Magnamund for Christmas and was wondering whether the heroes from this can be used with the Terror of the Darklords campaign - which I have yet to buy?

Also, can the Magnamund Menagerie book - which I also don't yet have - be used to create playable monsters/evil characters? I know this is counter to the ethos of Lone Wolf but I thought a renegade/escapee Giak or similar might be an interesting idea?

Thanks. :)

PhilOfCalth

Re: Heroes of Magnamund and playable villains

Post by PhilOfCalth » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:17 pm

I feel you would have to do a fair amount of work to convert a "monster" from either of the bestiaries into a character that can level up like playable characters can. The archetypes in Heroes of Magnamund will help you out here. You(/the narator) have to be ready to deal with problems on the fly.

On the other hand, even at master level, Lone Wolf is not very crunchy. So it is very much doable.

Using a PC as a monster is perfectly functional. Keep in mind that the combat chart is heavily skewed in the favour of the players, and that is how it should be. The feel of Lone Wolf is being exceptional, but being overwhelmed by the task ahead of you and the mountain of foes arrayed ahead of you. No single bad guy should be evenly matched with a fresh PC. A hero at the end of his adventure, cut, bruised and exhausted, on the other hand...

PS I can't speak to Terror of the Darklords, I do not have that book

Bewildered Badger

Post by Bewildered Badger » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:25 pm

TOTD is a campaign that centres around Kai Lords. However I see no problem with adding one or two other character types to the mix, as long as they have a good reason to assist and accompany the Kai.

Any of the Archetypes in HOM could be used to create evil characters. A Soldier could be a Drakkarim, a Devout a Cultist Of Vashna, whilst a Rogue may be a spy or assassin. As Phil points out, converting monsters might be a bit of work. Perhaps races could be considered a background trait? Something like "Giak: Night vision, immunity to non corrosive poisons, cowadice unless you have numerical superiority".

arjunstc

Post by arjunstc » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:47 pm

The character classes from HOM can be used for TOTD, with the exception of the Brotherhood Mage.

You also need at least one Kai Lord in the party - the other characters just need a reason to tag along.

*spoilers*

One of the plot lines involve the Kai being framed for some evil deed and railroads them to be arrested in Toran. If one of the PCs is a Brotherhood Mage, it makes things complicated.

Over all I don't really like the railroady nature of the campaign, although it is a much better improvement from the previous incarnation of the book. Unless cash is no issue, I imagine the Menagerie or Realm of Sommerlund will be a better buy.

Menagerie does not allow you to play "evil races", but you can pretty much make something up using the rules in HOM. If you want rules for full "career tracks" for evil characters, maybe check out the Mongoose d20 version of the rules - The Darklands.

B'noodnic

Post by B'noodnic » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:27 pm

Thanks everyone for all the advice. Looks like my first step will be to get hold of the Menagerie and go from there. :)

Vidynn

Post by Vidynn » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:46 am

We just finished TotDL with two Kai, one Brotherhood Mage and one Ranger of the North in the main party. We had one Herbwarden, one Sommlending Knight and another Ranger in a subplot and another Mage as a guest for one session. Out of these eight, three characters were killed during the course of the series. As long as you center the series around the Kai and the other characters have a good reason to work with the Kai, its all fine.