Introductory Scenario

World War Cthulhu: The Darkest Hour is a World War 2 setting book for Call of Cthulhu from the multi-award-winning C7 team. Learn more at our website: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/wor ... cthulhu-2/
Hermes Serpent

Introductory Scenario

Post by Hermes Serpent » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:16 pm

I've been wondering if anyone has done an introductory scenario for WWC. For older players who have seen a lot of TV series (Secret Army, Wish Me Luck) they can be assumed to have at least some understanding of the situation the agents find themselves in once they exit the plane but those born since the 70's who haven't seen these series it's a bit harder to imagine.

The Laundry uses a mission set at Dunwich, the training school, as a starter scenario but WWC offers only a fairly heavy scenario in the main rulebook. I'm thinking of a scenario set in maybe the Scottish Highland training centres or at Beaulieu where final training took place.

Has anyone done such a scenario?
Some TOR Information on my G+ Drive.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
"The One Ring's not a computer game, dictated by stats and inflexible rules, it's a story telling game." - Clawless Dragon

Andrew
Site Admin

Re: Introductory Scenario

Post by Andrew » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:58 am

We Shall Remember Them, in Europe Ablaze, begins with the investigators training in the Highlands. Given the nature of the scenario, however, it might not be entirely suitable as an intro scenario - unless the Mythos events that occur are the catalyst for the investigators joining Network N...

Scott Dorward

Post by Scott Dorward » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:47 pm

I'm actually in the process of writing a scenario set in the SOE training facility at Arisaig, serving as the first part of a larger campaign.

pouncing panda

Post by pouncing panda » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:11 pm

I couldn't agree more!

The God In The Woods is great but it's really a campaign, not an introductory adventure.

How about just combining a simple 1920s scenario like The Haunting with a simple mission (you could just rip the "Sabotaging the Telephone Exchange" section out of Lift Not Thy Hands in Europe Ablaze)?

I think that the most important thing that an introductory scenario needs to get across is the "fighting on two fronts" theme, as well as an instance where you have to keep secrets from friends or allies.

What have other people done for their first WWC game?

Hermes Serpent

Post by Hermes Serpent » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:43 pm

I've run a lot of one shots at conventions but only two campaigns, both self authored. One set in Paris that worked well enough as it was my first one set using WWC-DH and one set in London in the first weeks of the Blitz which went very well indeed and used material from the WWC London book.

As a first WWC-DH scenario I might do one set in Hampshire and involving Beaulieu, the 'Finishing School' for SOE,before sending the team off to Europe, I live so close we could almost LARP it.
Some TOR Information on my G+ Drive.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
"The One Ring's not a computer game, dictated by stats and inflexible rules, it's a story telling game." - Clawless Dragon