Lethal Damage Confusion

an alternate history pulpy retro-sci-fi space opera planetary romance. It's throttled up rocket packs burning radium on the long blast to the farthest reaches of the Solar System. It's hunting thunder lizards in the upland jungles of Venus. It's battling Ancient Martian killing machines piloted by the Deutsche Marserkorps across the baking red deserts of Mars. Learn more at our website: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/rocket-age-2/
Ron Blessing

Lethal Damage Confusion

Post by Ron Blessing » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:44 am

I'm reading the game and like what I've read so far, but I'm confused by the section on lethal damage. On one hand it says: "Lethal damage kills, plain and simple. Even one lethal hit kills a character, and can do tremendous damage to an object or other non-living target." But then it says: "If a target has Armor, or the target is an inanimate object, treat a lethal Level of Damage as 8 points of normal damage. If any of these 8 points penetrate the target's Armor, they are treated as normal damage."

Can someone clarify this for me?

NozzDogg47

Re: Lethal Damage Confusion

Post by NozzDogg47 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:04 pm

I've always assumed that it means on the damage level system, you would replace the L with 8 normal damage.

So for example, if a gun dealt 4/8/L and you were wearing armour, the gun would deal 4/8/8 to you instead. You're wearing armour, so it reduces the lethality of the damage.

It'll still hurt you and many lethal weapons have armour penetration, but it makes sense. If I'm wearing armour and I'm hit with a lethal blow, the armour is going to absorb some of the impact. If I'm unarmoured I'll just die.

Does that help?

Ron Blessing

Post by Ron Blessing » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:52 pm

I think so. Let me see if I have this straight.

I'm hit with a lethal weapon that has 4/8/L and they succeed by 9+. If I'm wearing no armor, I'm just dead. If I'm wearing armor, it's 8 damage. If the weapon has armor penetration, I'm still dead?

NozzDogg47

Post by NozzDogg47 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:50 pm

Pretty much.

The armour will reduce that damage too. Say you're wearing Armour with a value of 3. It'll block 3 points of that 8 damage, so you'll only take 5.

Ron Blessing

Post by Ron Blessing » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:03 am

Awesome, thanks!