Upcoming Books

an alternate history pulpy retro-sci-fi space opera planetary romance. It's throttled up rocket packs burning radium on the long blast to the farthest reaches of the Solar System. It's hunting thunder lizards in the upland jungles of Venus. It's battling Ancient Martian killing machines piloted by the Deutsche Marserkorps across the baking red deserts of Mars. Learn more at our website: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/rocket-age-2/
NozzDogg47

Re: Upcoming Books

Post by NozzDogg47 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:26 am

Oh, nice.

Starkiller

Post by Starkiller » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:07 pm

An equipment book would be nice because i think there are few armor types especially for the earthling in this game, regarding the mechanical augumentations i don't think they would render the setting too cyberpunk because a cyberpunk game has other premises (ex. corp exlotaition), the would insted add more character customization and variety.

NozzDogg47

Post by NozzDogg47 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:52 pm

I still hold augmentations aren't a core theme of Rocket Age and would have a real danger of sliding the game into another genre. We already have some cyberpunk themes in RA, especially corporate exploitation, which is fine, but I'd rather not have too many.

I can't think of any classic SF that features cybernetics as a minor thing. If someone gets cybered up, they tend to turn into a monster/slave etc. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen, but I just don't see how it would gel with Rocket Age's overall tone.

One of the things about pulp is that the humans tend to be very human. Heck, even the aliens tend to be more human than not. I know Rocket Age has some pretty inhuman aliens, but in most pulp settings those'd be bad guys and a lot of the time they are. It's a genre of human exceptionalism.

I might allow augmentations to be evil Nazi/Europan etc experiments, which leech at one's humanity, but I'd be very hesitant to give them to players.

Personally, I'd rather have a few more published adventures, because everyone I've run has been a bunch of fun.

KenSpencer

Post by KenSpencer » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:46 am

While I do not want to comment on books that are in development or what stage they are at, there is a book making its way through the process right now.

As far as cyberpunk style augmentations, that option is in the corebook to leave room for cybered up Soviet killer apes, and then only because I really like the paint job I did on a miniature of one. Ancient Martian tech could include cybernetics as well, but would be very rare. As far as the Europans, anything goes with them. Most of the cyberpunk elements people can see with the various evil corporations drew more from my experiences working the Ludlow Massacre Site as a young archeologist and involvement with worker's rights.

An Earth book would be something I would do at the end of the series, I see most of the action taking place elsewhere, as in most of the media that inspired Rocket Age. Then again, if there is enough demand...

And it is Ken, not Kevin, but I do have a slight accent (slight to American ears at least) and this has caused some confusion in the past.
Ken Spencer
Line Developer and writer, Rocket Age
Check out our Rocket Age events at GenCon 2014!

I am a mod, and my mod voice is RED

NozzDogg47

Post by NozzDogg47 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:51 am

Thanks Ken.

And yeah, cyberpunk is a theme that's present throughout a lot of human history. Heck, you want to see a corporation controlling land with a standing army and navy? Just look at the East India Company. I definitely don't feel like the game is cyberpunk though, merely like it's set in the 30s.

I really like the worker's rights struggles in the books too. I'm unfamiliar with the American stuff, but a lot of the claim jumping reminds me of happenings on the Victorian gold fields in Australia.

Personally I think my interest in Earth is a bit like my interest in pre-fallout Fallout. I would totally play a 2070s Fallout game if they released it. Also the mentions of stuff like Erisian ship crashes get my brain juices flowing. I was thinking of doing a Shambhala themed adventure featuring devolved Erisian yetis before my group fell apart. I even had plans to have them throwing around Nazis.

BTW, where the heck do you get a cyber ape mini? I kinda want one now.

KenSpencer

Post by KenSpencer » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:56 pm

NozzDogg47 wrote:
BTW, where the heck do you get a cyber ape mini? I kinda want one now.
Reaper Minis makes one. They even have it in the bonesium plastic now.
Ken Spencer
Line Developer and writer, Rocket Age
Check out our Rocket Age events at GenCon 2014!

I am a mod, and my mod voice is RED

NozzDogg47

Post by NozzDogg47 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:20 pm

Ah, Reaper minis, of course. Just found the mini.Very nice.

Wouldn't it be great to one day get a Rocket Age range? Ah well, we can always dream...

DavetheLost

Post by DavetheLost » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:40 pm

Ken, great news to hear that there is at least one book making its way through production. I won't press for details.

I can understand leaving the Earth book for last. Lots of information about 1930s Earth is available from many sources, and we have hints about what might be different in various RA books. Besides, as you say, the focus of adventures is really off Earth.

Cybernetically enhanced Soviet apes is a whole different thing to cybered humans. To me it fits RA perfectly.

Glad you are still with us and look forward to more RA to come.

Starkiller

Post by Starkiller » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:55 pm

I'd like more cyber option because i'm planning to play a general grievous inspired character, but also cyber-apes could be interesting enemies. I'm happy that at least one more book is in the working queue, can't wait to hear more about it.

NozzDogg47

Post by NozzDogg47 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:57 pm

Why not simply play a roboman with a human brain then?