Martian religion and "ascention"

an alternate history pulpy retro-sci-fi space opera planetary romance. It's throttled up rocket packs burning radium on the long blast to the farthest reaches of the Solar System. It's hunting thunder lizards in the upland jungles of Venus. It's battling Ancient Martian killing machines piloted by the Deutsche Marserkorps across the baking red deserts of Mars. Learn more at our website: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/rocket-age-2/
Loweko

Martian religion and "ascention"

Post by Loweko » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:44 pm

I got the core book and the Mars sourcebook for Christmas and I've been devouring them happily; I love the setting.

A big question though. We're told the Martian Orthodox religion preaches a doctrine of "Ascension" - what actually is this? In some places it suggests they teach that a virtuous Martian who lives a life of obedience etc etc will be reincarnated into a higher caste after death. In others, however, it mentions Ascension as something that actually happens to individual Martians and that certain castes are "more likely to Ascend than others".

We as omniscient players of course know that the Ancients have all been dead for thousands of years...so is there a "canon" (ha ha) explanation of the Ascension beliefs somewhere, or is it deliberately vague to let the players and GM make their own interpretations?

NozzDogg47

Re: Martian religion and "ascention"

Post by NozzDogg47 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:43 pm

I think the canon explanation is that the Ancients ascended into spiritual beings in most Martian faiths. However, there's a lot of variation between creeds and regions, so...

DuoStrife

Re: Martian religion and "ascention"

Post by DuoStrife » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:12 pm

I always have thought that the martian reincarnation cycle moved up the ladder. However at the end of this ladder is becoming one with the ancestors. If a martian has done great things in his life at the end of his days their is a chance that they will join the ancestors before they have made their way through the reincarnation cycle. This doesn't mean that every time a martian dies they are reincarnated as a higher caste every time they die but if one is proven worthy of the next caste they have a great possibility. At least this is my interpretation of it.