"The Jewish Question"

an alternate history pulpy retro-sci-fi space opera planetary romance. It's throttled up rocket packs burning radium on the long blast to the farthest reaches of the Solar System. It's hunting thunder lizards in the upland jungles of Venus. It's battling Ancient Martian killing machines piloted by the Deutsche Marserkorps across the baking red deserts of Mars. Learn more at our website: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/rocket-age-2/
Sivigny

"The Jewish Question"

Post by Sivigny » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:10 pm

Something I wondered about before, but how do Rocket Age stories and movies deal with the Hitler's mass murder of the Jews? It seems like either they are ignoring it or they are just not mentioning it, or maybe they just wrote out the Holocaust altogether to paint Hitler as a megalomaniac bent on world domination.

Considering how touchy this is for some people I can see why it's rarely ever mentioned. I haven't read through everything on this game, only just today read some of the core book, how is this handled in-game? Nazis being "were the best and everything else is inferior" I can see them wanting to go genocidal on every alien they come across.

DavetheLost

Re: "The Jewish Question"

Post by DavetheLost » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:21 pm

The Trail of the Scorpion campaign serial begins in 1938 so it predates most of the Holocaust.

The Nazis certainly are portrayed as viewing non-humans as less worthy than Aryans, and are happy to exploit them.

I don't recall how World War 2 figures into Rocket Age, although having extraterrestrial colonies, non-human sophonts, and the Europan threat likely changes some of the dynamics.

Sivigny

Post by Sivigny » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:35 pm

Well, the concentration camps started in 1933 and then WW2 started in '39 which is only a year after the serials. So it just makes me a curious if the Nazis just forgot about the jews, or did they just not bother with them after the discovery with the aliens (or at all)?

BaoAlex357

Post by BaoAlex357 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:47 pm

It has been my view that racism in Rocket Age is much like that in Shadowrun. Instead of "Black vs. White" it's more "Black and White team up against Green." Especially with the strong German military presence on Mars, I suspect the atrocities will be focused on native Martians in the quest to uncover/replicate lost weapons tech.
Team E-ville Playtester
Ka'tu Kuna - Europan Sophont of High Energy Science
Xanthiltar - Kastari Psychic Juggernaut of the Order of the Sacred Hamaxe
Rhan-Olt - Ioite Salvage Trader

NozzDogg47

Post by NozzDogg47 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:40 pm

I've always taken the view of 'the outside world doesn't know about it yet'. They're Nazis; they still have Hitler in power and the timeline's still mostly following the real world, despite the addition of space.

Razorwing

Post by Razorwing » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:23 pm

NozzDogg47 wrote:I've always taken the view of 'the outside world doesn't know about it yet'. They're Nazis; they still have Hitler in power and the timeline's still mostly following the real world, despite the addition of space.
I would have to agree with this... it wasn't until much later that much of what was being done by the Nazi Party was learned by the outside world.

That said, it is still likely that the Nazi Party in this game is following the same path... they are just expanding it to include many of the new species they've encountered in the rest of the Solar System. On Earth the concentration camps may be filled with Jews... but on Mars they are more likely filled with Martians (of one caste or another... possibly many... and possibly with the blessing of some Princes). The same is likely true on Venus too (though with Venusians).

Just because there are other species out there that can be an even greater threat to humanity... it doesn't mean that humans will unite against them. In all likelihood, the Nazi Party is using these new species as a cover for their own activities... while everyone's attention is focused on what the Europans might do to Earth, less people are paying attention to what the Nazis are doing on Earth (and other worlds).
There are three types of people in the world... those who can count and those who can't.

NozzDogg47

Post by NozzDogg47 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:16 am

On Earth the concentration camps may be filled with Jews... but on Mars they are more likely filled with Martians (of one caste or another... possibly many... and possibly with the blessing of some Princes).
Well actually this is already happening in setting.