Background music?

an alternate history pulpy retro-sci-fi space opera planetary romance. It's throttled up rocket packs burning radium on the long blast to the farthest reaches of the Solar System. It's hunting thunder lizards in the upland jungles of Venus. It's battling Ancient Martian killing machines piloted by the Deutsche Marserkorps across the baking red deserts of Mars. Learn more at our website: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/rocket-age-2/
badmojo

Background music?

Post by badmojo » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:23 am

Any good suggestions for fitting atmosperic sounds, period music or soundtracks (Flash G springs to mind but maybe avoid Queens version, but are there other good stuff)?

KenSpencer

Re: Background music?

Post by KenSpencer » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:01 pm

I use a mix of music form the 1930s, 40s, and 50s, heavy on the big band and pop. I inherited a large collection of this music from by great uncle, those were his youth days after all. It is a little too heavy on the 1940s, and I use a little too much Sinatra and Bennett. Playing this in the background lens a certain ambiance, but it is not terribly sic-fi in scope (though "Fly Me to the Moon" is a stand by). I also include more modern jazz and swing, but blues seems entirely out of place. A little from the Oh Brother, Where Art Thou soundtrack helps, especially in more Earthling centered environments.

I usually open the game session with an instrumental piece from an older sic-fi series. I am partial to Space Above and Beyond as well as Battlestar Galatica (reboot) for opening scores, especially in very ranger filled parties.

Sometimes I mix in some Ali Hassan Kuban (King of the Cairo Swing) when on Mars. For most folks the mix of traditional Egyptian music and big band has a very odd, even alien, sound to it.

I need to find a sound for Venus, Bananarama is fun, but doesn't have the right table sound. Europan music would be very interesting to 'cast' as it were, maybe some of the more freaky atonal electronica out there.
Ken Spencer
Line Developer and writer, Rocket Age
Check out our Rocket Age events at GenCon 2014!

badmojo

Post by badmojo » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:05 pm

Thx! Will look up this.

The music and sound effects of Unstoppable Gorg would be nice to have as well.
http://www.spacesector.com/blog/2012/01 ... -released/

NozzDogg47

Post by NozzDogg47 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:37 am

I would also recommend Sky Captain, Indiana Jones and the Mummy soundtracks for action and adventure ambiance.

NozzDogg47

Post by NozzDogg47 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:37 am

I would also recommend Sky Captain, Indiana Jones and the Mummy soundtracks for action and adventure ambiance. And maybe the Uncharted series. I also found an album named Classic SF, Fantasy & Horror Films that helped.

Sivigny

Post by Sivigny » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:02 am

Buck Rodgers (1980s), Flash Gordon, Battlestar Galactica (1980s), Perhaps even Star wars could work. Big Band stuff could work depending on the theme. Glen Miller is always a good choice :) Classical stuff would work too, Stravinsky, Tchaikovsky, Shoshtakovich (Bald mountain I believe). Gershwin, Beethoven. Oh! Holst's The Planets suite would be perfect.
If you want some creepy music go with pipe organ music and/or latin chanting. :)

BaoAlex357

Post by BaoAlex357 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:29 am

I can imagine mathematical formula derived music (Math rock, mathcore, and probably other genre varients) working well for Europans, as well as the antics pulled by Tool (10,000 Days played at the same time as Wings for Marie followed Viginti Tres making a new song, or Lateralus being one album-length song when tracks are played according to the Fibonacci sequence) would be appreciated by the most digitally-numerous sophonts.

I suspect Europans would be more prone to listen to music designed to trick one's brain into hallucinating, though that would be a bit disruptive at the game table. Seems like it'd be a good way to develope/enhance psychic abilities.
Team E-ville Playtester
Ka'tu Kuna - Europan Sophont of High Energy Science
Xanthiltar - Kastari Psychic Juggernaut of the Order of the Sacred Hamaxe
Rhan-Olt - Ioite Salvage Trader

NozzDogg47

Post by NozzDogg47 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:19 pm

What I'd use for the Europans is the Theremin, beloved of the Sci-fi B movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzRb1OVpat0

Didn't the Europans have a Jazz band on the Jovian Pleasure Cruiser? Can you imagine how weird that'd be with Europan instruments?

Dankers

Post by Dankers » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:30 pm

Hey all,

Thought I'd add a few to the list.

For everything Europan, my go-to music is Bernard Hermann's score for The Day the Earth Stood Still

Archive.org has proved to be a great resource:
-for bigband!: Harry James & his Orchestra
-for radio adverts!: Old Time Radio Advertisements
-for news broadcasts!: 1930-1937 Radio News

I'll also echo previous posts by saying Sky Captain, Indiana Jones, and The Mummy are great soundtracks for RA (I think I get the most mileage out of Sky Captain).