Order of Adventures?

an alternate history pulpy retro-sci-fi space opera planetary romance. It's throttled up rocket packs burning radium on the long blast to the farthest reaches of the Solar System. It's hunting thunder lizards in the upland jungles of Venus. It's battling Ancient Martian killing machines piloted by the Deutsche Marserkorps across the baking red deserts of Mars. Learn more at our website: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/rocket-age-2/
Kit

Order of Adventures?

Post by Kit » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:36 pm

If you were to start running Rocket Age now, with access to all the published adventures and supplements, what order would you run them in?
You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves.

--Christopher Marlowe, Edward II, Act II, Scene I

KenSpencer

Re: Order of Adventures?

Post by KenSpencer » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:36 pm

There is no set order of the adventures, but if I where to build a series based on them, I would follow this path:

Bring "em Back Alive
Mind Dunes of the Moon
Rocket Racers
A Prince's Ransom
No Good Deed
The Stolen Artifact
(from Blood Red Mars)
Warlord of the Gravitic Portal
Trail of the Scorpion

This starts the series on Venus, moves to Luna and then Earth. Rocket Racers puts the PCs on Mars, No Good Deed takes them far out into the Solar System. They can then return to Mars, finish off the Mars episodes, and then head off to Venus to kick off Trail of the Scorpion.

Another option is the following
Lost Cities of the Ancients
A Prince's Ransom
The Stolen Artifact
(from Blood Red Mars)
Bring 'Em Back Alive
Trail of the Scorpion

This leaves Mind Dunes of the Moon, Rocket Racers, and No Good Deed as side jaunts, any of which could be sandwiched in between episodes in Trail of the Scorpion. This series establishes the PCs on Mars before taking them to Venus so that they can be worked into the Trail of the Scorpion series.

Trail of the Scorpion Interlacing
If you want to use Trail as the basis for your series, you can easily interlace the other episodes into it.

TotS 1: In the Scorpion's Claws
Bring 'Em Back Alive
TotS 2: Tesla's Torch
Mind Dunes of the Moon
Rocket Racers

TotS 3: Walk Right in an Steal Them Blind
Lost Cities of the Ancients
The Stolen Artifact
(from Blood Red Mars)
A Prince's Ransom
TotS 5: Escape From the Arena of Death
TotS 4: The Scorpion's Sting
No Good Deed
TotS 6: Heart of the Scorpion

This does get the Trail episodes slightly out of order, but other than the episodes entitled 'Scorpion' they can be moved around a bit. It is Mars heavy, but the published episodes are (at least at this point, there are more int he pipes).
Ken Spencer
Line Developer and writer, Rocket Age
Check out our Rocket Age events at GenCon 2014!

I am a mod, and my mod voice is RED

Kit

Post by Kit » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:22 am

Ken,

Thank you!

Those were exactly the kind of suggestions i was looking for.

Thanks!

Armos Black

Post by Armos Black » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:46 am

I am going to try and run the 3rd list you proposed. I have two players wanting to make "agents". Rocket Rangers to be exact. Can it be run with two players?

KenSpencer

Post by KenSpencer » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:26 pm

Armos Black wrote:I am going to try and run the 3rd list you proposed. I have two players wanting to make "agents". Rocket Rangers to be exact. Can it be run with two players?
Several of the scenes might require extra hands, but it could be done if you are willing to expand the time limits on defusing bombs or scale down the number of combatants in the fights.
Ken Spencer
Line Developer and writer, Rocket Age
Check out our Rocket Age events at GenCon 2014!

I am a mod, and my mod voice is RED

NozzDogg47

Post by NozzDogg47 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:21 am

I know this is an old thread, but I've also found weaving one villain through all your adventures can be good.

For example my party had a member who wanted to be the big bad guy, so we wove a story of him using his ICIC colleagues to find the Lost City of the Ancients and then steal The Stolen Artifact. (He teleported off their ship with all the goods and blew up their base.)

He'd currently awaiting revelation as the Red Scorpion.

Kit

Post by Kit » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:32 am

Looking at the suggested orders above, Bring Em Back Alive is near the top in a few of them. With the release of Lure of Venus and the Downey Creek War adventure, would you suggest placing it before or after Bring Em Back Alive?