Quick Errata

an alternate history pulpy retro-sci-fi space opera planetary romance. It's throttled up rocket packs burning radium on the long blast to the farthest reaches of the Solar System. It's hunting thunder lizards in the upland jungles of Venus. It's battling Ancient Martian killing machines piloted by the Deutsche Marserkorps across the baking red deserts of Mars. Learn more at our website: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/rocket-age-2/
KenSpencer

Re: Quick Errata

Post by KenSpencer » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:34 pm

Seven wrote:54 light RAY cannons for the Tribal Class -is this correct?

Tribal Class
Armament: 54x light RAY cannons, 2x rocket pods, 8
rocket ranger launch bays, 2x rocket fighter bays
5 light RAY cannons
Ken Spencer
Line Developer and writer, Rocket Age
Check out our Rocket Age events at GenCon 2014!

rulandor

Post by rulandor » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:10 pm

Nukenin wrote:Those German names do sound retro - absolutely fitting if you ask me.

But they are not "korrektes Deutsch".

On page 187:

"Untersuchungwanderer" should be "Untersuchungswanderer"
"Persönlichespanzerwanderer" should be "Persönlicher Panzerwanderer"
"Gehendespazer" well, I suppose that should be "Gehender Panzer" ?

I really know how to get on people' s bad side :D

Anyway, the book looks great and I am digging into it as soon as I am home :)
Whenever I read such strange expressions, I wonder: Wouldn't it be preferable to put these things to someone who speaks the language? Not only in roleplaying games - I remember the most absurd manglings of German in Traveller ("Geschichtkreis Sternschiffbau", shudder) or the World of Darkness -, but also in film or television productions, for example Grimm.

Now I wonder: all these productions (television, rpgs) have a German audience as well. It would be rather easy to ask this audience, your fans and gamers for advice.

The production team of Grimm, for example, could have asked a university student of German or the friendly immigrant from the neighbourhood about rubbish like "Blutbaden". The same for RPG designs. My suggestion: Discuss these things on forums. You always find a German speaker who would be delighted to help.

Walkers, for example (the robotic ones) are traditionally translated as "Läufer", for example in Star Wars dubbing or translations. Although "Wanderer" is neither bad nor wrong.

Is the "Untersuchungswanderer" a scout walker, per chance? That would be a "Spähwanderer/Spähläufer". An armored scout vehicle is called in real military parlance a "Spähpanzer".

"Persönlicher Wanderer" seems somewhat awkward to me. "Persönlich" means "personal". Is this a One-Person-Walker? This would rather be a "Ein-Mann-Läufer".

What is meant by a "Gehender Panzer"? A walking tank? If so, we would probably have called that "Panzerschreiter" (Armored strider) in idiomatic German.

KenSpencer

Post by KenSpencer » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:37 pm

rulandor wrote:
Nukenin wrote:Those German names do sound retro - absolutely fitting if you ask me.

But they are not "korrektes Deutsch".

On page 187:

"Untersuchungwanderer" should be "Untersuchungswanderer"
"Persönlichespanzerwanderer" should be "Persönlicher Panzerwanderer"
"Gehendespazer" well, I suppose that should be "Gehender Panzer" ?

I really know how to get on people' s bad side :D

Anyway, the book looks great and I am digging into it as soon as I am home :)
Whenever I read such strange expressions, I wonder: Wouldn't it be preferable to put these things to someone who speaks the language? Not only in roleplaying games - I remember the most absurd manglings of German in Traveller ("Geschichtkreis Sternschiffbau", shudder) or the World of Darkness -, but also in film or television productions, for example Grimm.

Now I wonder: all these productions (television, rpgs) have a German audience as well. It would be rather easy to ask this audience, your fans and gamers for advice.

The production team of Grimm, for example, could have asked a university student of German or the friendly immigrant from the neighbourhood about rubbish like "Blutbaden". The same for RPG designs. My suggestion: Discuss these things on forums. You always find a German speaker who would be delighted to help.

Walkers, for example (the robotic ones) are traditionally translated as "Läufer", for example in Star Wars dubbing or translations. Although "Wanderer" is neither bad nor wrong.

Is the "Untersuchungswanderer" a scout walker, per chance? That would be a "Spähwanderer/Spähläufer". An armored scout vehicle is called in real military parlance a "Spähpanzer".

"Persönlicher Wanderer" seems somewhat awkward to me. "Persönlich" means "personal". Is this a One-Person-Walker? This would rather be a "Ein-Mann-Läufer".

What is meant by a "Gehender Panzer"? A walking tank? If so, we would probably have called that "Panzerschreiter" (Armored strider) in idiomatic German.
I apologize for the mangling of the German language. My own studies were in Spanish, French, and Arabic (although they were decades ago and have atrophied from disuse). When writing Rocket Age I relied on three sources for the invented German words: translation sites, playtesters who had studied German (though some of them are as rusty as I am), and the names of German military equipment form the 1930s and 1940s. Keep in mind the difficulties in inventing new words in a language you do not speak. I considered not giving the war walkers German names at all and instead leaving them in English. However, I decided my best attempt was better than no attempt at all, and far more respectful of any German fans.
And now I realize that I didn't translate New Rome into Italian as I had intended. Mea culpas to my Italian fans as well.

Why didn't I go to a forum? I did not want to leak out any Rocket Age information before the time was ripe. Introducing a new game and setting is a big risk and care must be taken with how much and how soon information is broadcast. Now that the book is out, I have more latitude, and a forum of fans, to consult.
Naturally I will be double checking linguistic matters with the community as we proceed to work on the supplement lines.
Ken Spencer

rulandor

Post by rulandor » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:54 pm

KenSpencer wrote: Why didn't I go to a forum? I did not want to leak out any Rocket Age information before the time was ripe. Introducing a new game and setting is a big risk and care must be taken with how much and how soon information is broadcast. Now that the book is out, I have more latitude, and a forum of fans, to consult.
Ah, that makes a lot of sense. Didn't consider that.

Perhaps a special proof reader, shortly before sending a manuscript to the printer? Which implies, of course, additional delays.

It's a quandary.

KenSpencer

Post by KenSpencer » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:40 pm

Listen up Rangers! Here is a fun game to play at home. If you are the first to find a mangled translation or invention in a language other than English, you get a bonus Character Point! If your GM complains, tell them that Ken Spencer has authorized it.

Bonus Character Point is non-transferable between characters or players. Offer not valid outside the Solar System or in any area under Europan jurisdiction. Special exemptions may apply. Cubicle 7 Entertainment, Ltd. and Ken Spencer are not liable for any characters disintegrated, folded, spindled, mutilated, or otherwise harmed as a result of the choices made in spending their Bonus Character point(s).
Ken Spencer

Nukenin

Post by Nukenin » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:38 pm

Gee, Ken. I am a GM, now what do I get? 8-)

Anyway, I ll offer my help in creating any German terms needed and I' m sure rulandor won' t mind getting involved either.

Still, in contrast to him, I think these terms are charming somehow :)

"Ein-Mann-läufer" is also awkward, yet I cannot think of a better term either. Maybe "Laufpanzer" as in "Walking Armor", instead auf "Panzerläufer", which could be used for larger vehicles.

rulandor

Post by rulandor » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:17 pm

Nukenin wrote:
"Ein-Mann-läufer" is also awkward, yet I cannot think of a better term either. Maybe "Laufpanzer" as in "Walking Armor", instead auf "Panzerläufer", which could be used for larger vehicles.
Yes, quite right, Laufpanzer would be spot on, as long as it is clear that "Panzer" in this case means "Personal Armour", not a tank vehicle.

Concerning the charming aspect of strange Germanisms: While watching "Grimm", for example, I do a lot more smiling than grumbling about all these Blutbaden and Hexenbeasts und Lausenschlangen.
Last edited by rulandor on Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KenSpencer

Post by KenSpencer » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:42 pm

Nukenin wrote:Gee, Ken. I am a GM, now what do I get? 8-)

Anyway, I ll offer my help in creating any German terms needed and I' m sure rulandor won' t mind getting involved either.

Still, in contrast to him, I think these terms are charming somehow :)

GM's get a bonus story hook of subject of their choice. PM me for you hook.
Ken Spencer

WhiskyJack

Post by WhiskyJack » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:17 pm

The miner/scavenger profession lists the good trait Boffin. That is the only mention of that trait that I can find. Anyone spotted it?

KenSpencer

Post by KenSpencer » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:48 pm

WhiskyJack wrote:The miner/scavenger profession lists the good trait Boffin. That is the only mention of that trait that I can find. Anyone spotted it?
We changed the language of Rocket Age from UK English to American English, and changed boffin to gadgeteer. It looks like that one was missed. We also changed all standard measurements to metric, but I think I found all of those before we went to print.
Ken Spencer