Background music?

an alternate history pulpy retro-sci-fi space opera planetary romance. It's throttled up rocket packs burning radium on the long blast to the farthest reaches of the Solar System. It's hunting thunder lizards in the upland jungles of Venus. It's battling Ancient Martian killing machines piloted by the Deutsche Marserkorps across the baking red deserts of Mars. Learn more at our website: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/rocket-age-2/
NozzDogg47

Re: Background music?

Post by NozzDogg47 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:34 am

This is some great stuff Dankers. The Day the Earth Stood Still is a fantastic suggestion. I'm planning on using the old King Kong soundtrack for some of the exploration stuff on Venus myself.

Jakob

Post by Jakob » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:57 am

While I must admit that I'm not that well-versed with regards to the RA universe (I bought it for the Vortex system and am still not sure if the setting hooks me), there's still three movie soundtracks that I keep recommending for all kinds of science fiction games - all three of them by Jerry Goldsmith when he was in his prime.

Planet of the Apes (the original movie) - truly weird, I used it as a soundtrack for some Numenera sessions; even though the movie is set mainly in a wasteland, the music can just as well evoke a scary, bizarre jungle atmosphere that might fit RA's Venus.

Logan's Run - also very weird, but a little more "technical" and electronic.

Star Trek - The Motion Picture - Just don't use the main titles, they are too strongly tied to the Enterprise; but nothing evokes the mystery of space and the alien better than Goldsmith's V'ger pieces with their trippy underwater quality.

Dankers

Post by Dankers » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:18 pm

Thanks for the tip, Jakob. I keep forgetting about the Star Trek score. A true classic.

Jerry Goldsmith is well, errr, a goldmine of gaming music. A little known theme that's been creeping into a few of my RA episodes is King Solomon's Mines "Quartermain March" (the theme kicks in at about 1:10). And his work for the movie Congo is good for jungle adventures on Venus. Speaking of Venus, I have been tempted to use the Silvestri soundtrack from Predator; however, I have a feeling the session would then quickly devolve into an Arnold quote-fest:
-player: Is that the theme from Predator?
-me: Yes, I thought it would fit nicely for this Venus jungle episode.
-player: I use all my story points and we find a Europan flying saucer in a clearing.
-me: All your points? ...Errr, You hear the voice of Dr. Joy Goodfeeling, your good friend you first met on Mars, crackle over the radio. He's heard your distress call and...
player: yeah, yeah... everyone, "Get to the chopper!" I mean, get to the saucer!

Dankers

Post by Dankers » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:33 pm

NozzDogg47 wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:34 am
[. . . ] I'm planning on using the old King Kong soundtrack for some of the exploration stuff on Venus myself.
Let me know how this works out for you. I have the 1933 Max Steiner soundtrack but haven't been able to use it as effectively as I would have hoped. It seems to move from very bombastic to very quiet and I've struggled to maintain appropriate volume levels with it. "King Kong March" is one track that's a really fun bridge between the big band stuff and the orchestral scores. And the "Elevate Train Sequence" has been good for chase/escape reels.

Arthur Bliss's The Shape of Things to Come also seems interesting.

NozzDogg47

Post by NozzDogg47 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:25 pm

In the past I've found music most useful in narration honestly, especially since verbal storytelling often uses the same narrative beats as movie storytelling, provided you've been listening to the music beforehand and have a feel for it.

I've used the first track from Raiders of the Lost Ark during a scene where I described people dying to the traps of a trip line spider and music from Zathura to describe the chaos of their ship being hit by a meteor swarm.

There can be a bit of player talk, but it's often most useful in times when you have the narrative control. Afterwards I generally fade it out, since the beats of play rarely match the music.

I've also been planning to use the Ghost and the Darkness soundtrack for a literal Ghost and the Darkness homage adventure on the edge of Carmenta Savannah on Venus.

SilverShoggoth

Post by SilverShoggoth » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:36 pm

I don't know if any of you lovely folks would be interested, but I've been working on a series of background music playlists based on your suggestions and some of my own thoughts. They're definitely a work in progress, but you're welcome to use them if you'd like. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj3FYc ... =1&sort=dd

NozzDogg47

Post by NozzDogg47 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:37 am

Definitely interested Shuggoth. I see you've made use of Zathura too.