Automata Question

Razorwing

Automata Question

Post by Razorwing » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:23 pm

We know that it is the motivating essence that gives automata the potential for sentience and that eventually this motivating essence can dissipate (either by not getting enough food to maintain one's supply or by it becoming too diluted over the years without the occasional top up of fresh essence).

The question is... if a sentient automata eventually runs down due to the evaporation of their essence (regardless of the cause) and remains so for an extended amount of time (days, weeks, months, years, ect.), will they regain their sentience once they get a new infusion of motivating essence? Will it take time for them to reawaken to sentience? Will they be the same "person" they were before, or deveop a new personality based on their new experiences?

I know the Persistant talent allows an automaton to be rebuilt should it be otherwise destroyed... but if all it needs is a fresh infusion of essence (with little other damage to be repaired), will it retain the sentience it once had?
There are three types of people in the world... those who can count and those who can't.

Grimwyrd

Re: Automata Question

Post by Grimwyrd » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:13 am

The question is... if a sentient automata eventually runs down due to the evaporation of their essence (regardless of the cause) and remains so for an extended amount of time (days, weeks, months, years, ect.), will they regain their sentience once they get a new infusion of motivating essence? Will it take time for them to reawaken to sentience?
The side bar on page 134 of UtL states that an automata will simply "spring to life" (with a -4 penalty for the rest of the day) once given pure motivating essence after being allowed to run down, since no time limitations are given I would assume that there are none. As for the rest of your questions... that would be entirely up to the GM and how much he/she wants to play with the idea.

Corone

Post by Corone » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:34 am

That would be my take on it too.
Maybe it would be a way for automata to pick up a few mental complications too
Andrew Peregrine - Corone Design
Cubicle Seven Black Ops

Razorwing

Post by Razorwing » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:54 pm

I had noticed that side bar as well, but I wanted to be sure.

This opens up a few possibilities for automata characters... survivors from past ages that ran out of Essence (yet remain otherwise functional). Wheither or not any of them are sentient... well... the only way to find out is to top them up and see. Of course, there is also the possibility that they were intentionally rendered inactive, but again... that is for the players to find out. :twisted:
There are three types of people in the world... those who can count and those who can't.

Grimwyrd

Post by Grimwyrd » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:55 pm

I like the idea of Automata awaking from the distant past, very interesting, such an automata could know all kinds of interesting things, maybe worth a fortune or things best forgotten.