Martial Arts and Weapons, especially Beast Dancing

Dulahan

Martial Arts and Weapons, especially Beast Dancing

Post by Dulahan » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:18 am

With Underneath the Lamplight we suddenly have Baritsu more fleshed out. And it is frankly, pretty sweet. But it also has the issue of... um... where does the Cane fighting element of it come into play? A completely separate skill? But is there a way to benefit from the Martial Arts then??

So I digress, this goes into Beast Dancing. Any chance of seeing some expansion on it before the likely still a couple years out? Even if just beta style? Or something like that?

And further, how does it interact with the Beast Dancing weapons? I notice from the sample character that you do need to buy them. Yet at the same time, the write up for the martial arts skill also implies "Without weapons" - as if it is feasible to have weapons too. This obviously applies to Baritsu with Canes too.

So any clarification or ideas? Especially as I am playing a Neo Bed who has some Beast Dancing!

tkdco2

Re: Martial Arts and Weapons, especially Beast Dancing

Post by tkdco2 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:09 am

Bartitsu was an actual style developed in the 19th century. I think Conan Doyle meant that when he mentioned "Baritsu". Cane fighting was one of the skills learned in the art. You can find more information on the art here.

Beast Dancing probably has several sub-styles, or it could be a collection of diverse fighting styles. You can probably base them on the different Kung Fu styles or even Capoiera.

Dulahan

Post by Dulahan » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:24 am

tkdco2 wrote:Bartitsu was an actual style developed in the 19th century. I think Conan Doyle meant that when he mentioned "Baritsu". Cane fighting was one of the skills learned in the art. You can find more information on the art here.

Beast Dancing probably has several sub-styles, or it could be a collection of diverse fighting styles. You can probably base them on the different Kung Fu styles or even Capoiera.

Which doesn't help at all. Since the real question is the mechanics of it all. Like using the Cane with Baritsu - which skills, how it interacts with techniques, etc.

Or in beast dancing's case, how to use the arm blades or claws with the martial art.

Or heck, if you do "Kung Fu" how to use a Dao with it.

Grimwyrd

Post by Grimwyrd » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:44 am

Just use the same Techniques for Beast Dancing that are used for Baritsu. Sort of an all roads lead to Rome kind of thing. Since your doing Beast Dancing, accentuate the Techniques you think best fit Beast Dancing, and don't worry about the rest. I would suggest concentrating on Combat Master, Deadly Strike, Feint, Lighting Movement, and Power Attack, since these all seem to be very much in line with what Beast Dancing is all about. Putting multiple Enhancements in each Technique should take up plenty of Experience. As for MA and weapon use, simply house rule that by learning MA you learn to incorporate the use of weapons into your chosen martial arts style, or you could make the use of Martial Weapons into a new Technique. What this would entail is that you may use a martial weapon with all the techniques with which a weapon makes sense. For instance, using a weapon with Feint makes sense but using it with Deadly Strike, not so much. For completeness sake, I would also include a Technique for disarming opponents (in my opinion this should have been included in the Baritsu rules in UtL). You could call it, I don't know, perhaps... Martial Disarm, which could be used with either bare hand or weapons. Finally, I would only allow the use of these Techniques with a weapon at either the level of the players weapon skill or the level of the players Martial Arts skill, whichever is lower. That way the player has to keep up on both, which should help to keep things from getting out of hand balance wise. And yes, I did "borrow" a lot of these ideas from "Jewel of the Empire" a Victoriana 2e supplement you might want to check out for more on MA rules and ideas.

Corone

Post by Corone » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:37 am

I should point out the martial art is actually just named after the Sherlock Holmes one, rather than designed to duplicate it. However, there is no reason not to add a few extra twists :)

In fact, I'd hope the structure is there for you to build all manner of new techniques and even new martial arts styles. Certainly Beast Dancing will follow the same format, but have different techniques.

You may add techniques that allow you to apply other techniques using a weapon for instance, or something entirly new.

Go crazy :)
Andrew Peregrine - Corone Design
Cubicle Seven Black Ops

Jzhyrone

Post by Jzhyrone » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:30 am

I Beast Dancing is of the best.. I really do like it.. :twisted: