Problem with retailer regarding Bits & Mortar

Questions and queries relating to the purchase of our products.
Oregon

Problem with retailer regarding Bits & Mortar

Post by Oregon » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:04 pm

I emailed C7 Tuesday but haven't received a response, so I will post my question/concern here. While I did name the retailer in my email to C7, I won't name the retailer publicly here.

So my situation is this: I live in a small town that is three hours away from the nearest large city. I do not have a local gaming store that I can give my business to. I would have to drive three hours away in order to support a game store. I purchased some TOR books from a store located in another state, using their website's online purchase option. After I made my purchase, I was informed that I do not qualify to benefit from the B&M program, unless Cubicle 7 feels that an exception should be made in my case due to not having a local game store that I can support.

My position is this: I should be allowed to benefit from the B&M program because I do not have a local game store that I can support. I would also make the following points, and while they may not have any bearing on whether I qualify to benefit from B&M, I do think they are worthy of consideration.

In the case of the retailer from whom I purchased the TOR materials online, I am providing support to their store because they are fulfilling my order from material they actually have on their store shelves, just the same as if I walked into the store in person. I am also paying for shipping, which I would not have had to pay for if I were to purchase from them in person. They are making money on the purchase.

If I didn't care about getting pdf's, I could have saved money by purchasing these same TOR materials on Amazon. I would have gotten Free 2 day shipping. With the retailer that I actually purchased my products from, I am paying almost $14 for shipping charges, and I will not get my products until July 25th, according to their shipping estimator.

Anyway, that's my story.

Thank you for your consideration.
Thank You,
Oregon
your friend in the Pacific Northwest

Otaku-sempai

Re: Problem with retailer regarding Bits & Mortar

Post by Otaku-sempai » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:14 pm

Writing strictly as a layman, I don't know why the proximity of a local game store should be at all relevant to your qualifying for a free PDF under the bits-and-mortar program (assuming that the store you used is a participant). You have already purchased the physical product regardless of where the store was located. I think that you are completely within your rights to complain.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

Hermes Serpent

Post by Hermes Serpent » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:05 pm

I suspect that C7 provide a pdf when buying from a store that's in the b&m programme and that doesn't discount the books. If your purchase doesn't meet those criteria then they may refuse to supply the pdf. I've seenrp requests for a copy of the receipt to check that folks have paid full price. If you buy direct you get the pecans C7 get a larger chunk of cash allowing then to offer a pedf for free.

Maybe it was felt that buying from a store not anywhere near your home and in another state was not meeting the requirements of the program
Some TOR Information on my G+ Drive.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
"The One Ring's not a computer game, dictated by stats and inflexible rules, it's a story telling game." - Clawless Dragon

Oregon

Post by Oregon » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:18 pm

Hermes Serpent wrote:I suspect that C7 provide a pdf when buying from a store that's in the b&m programme and that doesn't discount the books. If your purchase doesn't meet those criteria then they may refuse to supply the pdf. I've seenrp requests for a copy of the receipt to check that folks have paid full price. If you buy direct you get the pecans C7 get a larger chunk of cash allowing then to offer a pedf for free.

Maybe it was felt that buying from a store not anywhere near your home and in another state was not meeting the requirements of the program
Well, as to the first part of your reply, I can see their point. I know a certain amount of discount is allowed by Bits & Mortar, though I don't know where the limit is. The hardcopy books I purchased were between $8 and $10 lower than full US retail for each of the three books I ordered. If that factor disqualifies my purchases from being eligible for a complimentary pdf, then I can live with this. I would note, however, that the retailer did not mention pricing as the reason for my purchases not qualifying for the free pdf's. So, if the above-mentioned discounts do, in fact, disqualify purchases of those products, then C7 might want to contact that retailer, as I do believe I would have been given the complimentary pdf's if I had purchased the products in person from their store.

As to the second part of your reply regarding the store not being local to me, my understanding is that there is an exception made if you don't have a gaming store local to you where you can purchase product, and you purchase online from an actual brick and mortar store that is registered with the Bits & Mortar program. Also, so far the only "ruling" I have been given has been from the retailer themselves, and not C7.
Thank You,
Oregon
your friend in the Pacific Northwest

Hermes Serpent

Post by Hermes Serpent » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:38 am

Ah right, that was not very clear from your post. Sounds like the store are either being dicks or there are some rules for the B&M program that we don't necessarily know about. Personally I always get my C7 books direct as they get the extra money that doesn't have to go for paying a distributor and that helps them provide more good stuff.

The local game stores are few and far between, easily the equivalent of your 3 hour drive (relatively speaking), that carry anything other than Hasbro/Paizo materials, which is why I prefer to give money directly to C7. I don't think I have a FLGS in my county, your state equivalent distance wise. Buying rp material in the UK is usually either at a convention/show or via mail order (Amazon/direct from the publisher) with the few remaining decent stores a minimum of a 3+ hour journey away
Some TOR Information on my G+ Drive.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
"The One Ring's not a computer game, dictated by stats and inflexible rules, it's a story telling game." - Clawless Dragon

Nick Robinson

Post by Nick Robinson » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:34 pm

Responded to the original email in the post.